• s c a r e d ? •

Starting a day eating beside your partner, nothing more beautiful than this.

A phone call.

A strange one.

- Yes? He said continuing to eat.

- Does the pancakes have a good taste?

- Excuse me?

- Your wife is really beautiful.

At these words Christopher looked up at her, he stopped eating and started to listen carefully.

The way the man breathes, the voice, and the song in the background.

He finally replied.

- Yes, you are right.

- You are scared, Christopher. You are scared.

He didn't say anything, he got up and went to their balcony.

- Scared? He said smirking.

The man on the other side of the phone didn't say anything. He just listened to his deep voice.

- Why should I be scared?

- Your dad. The man finally replied.

- My dad? I should be scared of my dad? That is what are you trying to say?

- You are going to lose her little boy, losing her will change your life forever. Think about it. Your dad will be released from prison in two weeks.

- What?

But the person hung up. He put his hands on the balcony rail while gritting his teeth, he was being watched. He knew it.

" Does your wife know how cold you are? - What if something happens to your wife? "

" You are going to lose her little boy. "

- Those motherfu-

- Babe? Is everything alright?

- Actually, yes. Is it. Stay home today. Alright?

- What? But you need my help at the company!

- Listen to me, please!

- Alright then... I'm going to stay home.

- Please, write to me or call me. No matter what. Even if you are bored. Call me.

- Chris?

- Yes?

- Please be careful!

He didn't say anything, he took her by her waist and kissed her. A long kiss that said how much he loves her.

- I love you! She said, but he was gone.

She was alone at home. A perfect time to torture and make her feel fear. A woman... a woman which knew what to do.

- I know you are the man who called dumbass! I know you are! Screamed Christopher to the man who was in front of him.

- Me? Called you? Are you sure you heard my voice?

- I- You said I'm going to lose her!

- Christopher, I know I did kill your mother, but I swear to God! I did not call you today! I am not the same man Christopher! I have changed! You think I am the same man who killed your mother six years ago! What do you think they are doing with us here, Christopher? What do you think? We are going to correction school, we are going to orphanages and hospitals helping kids and adults. I never called you. He said and got up from his seat.

- But...

- The man who called you was someone else. And the fact that you are here means that your wife is home alone. You fell into his trap, Christopher. Said the man leaving the room with the guardian behind him.

- Athena! He said getting up and running to his car.

He was driving crazy.

He forgot his home keys. His wife didn't answer at her phone. He was knocking at the door harder and harder, but nothing. He started to lose his mind.

But the door opened. She was there, with a big towel covering her body and a small one covering her hair.

- Why?!- He said taking a big breath and hugging her. Do not scare me like this again! Please! He said hugging her even harder.

- Chris... I was taking a shower... I couldn't answer your calls because I... I broke it...

- What? He said rising his head and looking into her eyes. You broke your phone?

- Yeah... a long story...

- But this morning it was alright! He said closing the door.

- Yes... I know... it just happened... I don't even know how to explain what happened. She said like she was about to cry.

- Hey, babe. It's alright, we can buy another one. Don't worry about it. It's just a phone after all.

Late in the night, staring at the stars and the moon dancing together in the black sky. The silence was a loud conversation in the dark.

I was hoping for a good future. But instead, all I got was this. This present.

- And..., the man talked. How did you broke your phone?

- I thought I heard a sound coming from the kitchen so I went there to see what happened, but when I got there I saw a black figure moving out of the apartment door and I dropped my phone while I was running to the front door to see that person. But, when I opened the door, the hallway was empty.

The man was silent, thinking about the story his wife just told him.

" I saw a black figure. "

But then he remembered the nightmare.

" a black figure pushed her. "

- But you did close the door behind me, didn't you? He asked.

- Yes. I remember I did.

- That is very weird.