1

"Navi! Have you heard anything I've said?" My mother snaps her fingers in quick succession to get my attention.

" I'm not gonna let you disgrace our family like your retched brother"

The brother in question, Damini, had renounced our family by running away with his long-time secret girlfriend, Talia. The trouble with that is his arranged marriage to the sole heir of the Kido clan, Natsumi Kido.

I didn't blame my brother for running off, I just didn't think my parents were crazy enough to still go through with the wedding with me as my brother's replacement.

Of course, I knew my parents would try to marry me off but never so soon. I was only 19, just into my first year of college, and I had wanted to at least be finished with my studies before being shipped off to some uncle in the countryside. Instead, I was to marry a 21-year-old woman who had been intended for my brother.

If there was one good thing about my parents I could list it's that gender didn't matter, an heir with money was an heir with money. Which is why they didn't even bat an eye when offering up their slightly younger, only daughter to join the two families.

"This is your personal itinerary" My wedding assistant -apparently that's a thing- Amelia, hands me a folder that is spilling documents from the open edge.

"I've marked down all the important dates for you including the wedding date, the bridal shower, the fitting date for your dress, and rehearsals for the dance and dinner. I'll also send you quick reminders before each event just in case you forget.

"Thanks" my gratitude is barely coherent, lost in the hubbub.

"Later today you are to meet your wife, we're having an engagement party" My mother huffs, flattening my shirt in the way she does.

"Again" My father grumbles from behind her, raising his glass that's filled to the brim with red wine when she turns to eye him.

"You are to mingle with the guests and get to know your wife"

"But ma-" 

"No Buts" My father is quick to cut me off, raising from his seat to join us at my mother's side.

" I know this isn't what you wanted for your life but this marriage is done with your best interest in mind. If you think about it this is actually ideal for you, Hm? Your brother was always a letdown but you, Navi, You are meant for great things and this marriage will help you achieve that" He tips my chin fondly before leaving me alone with my mother.

I can't understand how one act can change my parents' entire view of their son, someone they raised and loved for over 21 years.

"Someone will bring the dress I picked out for this evening, you're free to do as you please until then, just don't do anything stupid like your brother" With one last assessment she follows behind my father.