c h a p t e r F I V E | | Valdus Alaric

Heavy silence blanketed over the lively chatter that once filled the Ermensinde Meeting Room as soon as two tall and well-built men entered the room. Valdus scanned his sharp green eyes across the familiar faces at the large U-shaped meeting table. Expecting to see an unfamiliar face, he had locked eyes with the familiar representative of the Kavynier Empire. Conroy Lancelot, Chancellor of the Kavynier Empire. Anger and annoyance flashed past those emerald green eyes briefly. However, Conroy seemed to have caught it. A playful smirk played on his lips.

"Surprised to see me? You don't think I'd find out that you called for an emergency meeting... Right? Alpha King?" Conroy taunted as the Alpha King took his seat while his Beta stood at attention behind him; Like the strong cold warrior he was. All that was present in the room knew how the Alpha King felt towards the Kavynier Empire. The first time this happened, everyone present gasped in shock that a mere Chancellor had dared to treat a royal with such disrespect. Now, they just stayed out of the way, hoping that they would not be caught dead in a crossfire between the two.

"Once in a lifetime chance that Emperor Kavynier had called for a meeting. And yet he got his pet to attend in his stead. What a shame. And here I was hoping to get the chance to meet him and teach him a lesson or two about how to tame his savage animal." the murderous glint in The Alpha King's eye was not to be taken lightly. Beings have dropped dead with that look. Not that it mattered much to Conroy for he had the protection of the Kavynier Empire as Chancellor. In addition, he was the Warlock Grand Duke. He was sure to have protection spells shielding him. That unaffected stupid smirk on Chancellor Conroy's pretty face seemed to rile The Alpha King even more.

Since no one was about to make the first move to break the two apart, it was, always, Beta Safdar's job to stop this nonsense and start the actual agenda of the meeting before all hell broke loose.

"Excuse me, my King. As everyone present seems to have the impression that the Alaric Kingdom had called for the meeting, shall we start the meeting's agenda?" Safdar hastily asked with a bow as soon as he saw the Kavynier Chancellor opening his big mouth, ready to add oil to the already blazing fire.

With a nod of approval from The Alpha King, Beta Safdar made his way to the center of the U-shaped table, and onto the podium. Everyone in the room released a sigh of relief, that they did not know they had been holding in. Meanwhile, Chancellor Conroy was left in his seat sulking like a child, as if his favorite toy had been heartlessly ripped away from him. The first time the Kavynier Chancellor stood up to The Alpha King, he did it to defend the honor of the Kavynier Empire and its ruler, however as time went by, a part of him enjoyed getting a rise out of The Alpha King. No particular reason other than the fact that no other being had been brave enough to put that arrogant Alpha King in his place.

"Greetings to all my royal highnesses. And chancellor." Safdar's darkening gray eyes looked straight into Conroy's icy blue eyes. A subtle reminder to Conroy that he was only a Chancellor and that he should know his place. "Thank you all for taking time off your busy schedules to attend this meeting with such short notice. Today, the Alaric Kingdom presents you with some new findings we have. There seemed to be a rise in rogues as compared to past years. In this year alone, we have encountered 38 rogues by our borders and it is only the 4th month of the year. What is shocking and different from the other rogues previously was that all 38 of them seem to mention something about a savior. The latest 5 rogues we have captured over the past 3 days seemed to be different from the normal rogues. Their blood that usually turned a darker shade of red, after turning rogue, have now seemed to turn black. Records show that something similar has happened in the past as well. 1 year before the world war happened." At the mention of the last world war, murmurs started filling the meeting room.

"Impossible! A great sacrifice had been made so that another war would not happen again." Queen Angelique Ilona, of the Theyrasis people, cried out in denial. The Theyrasians have been said to have been blessed by the divine light of the Goddess Theya. As such, whenever a monster comes in contact with the light that they produce, their dark souls would be purified and brought back to peace. They were mostly recognized by their shining blond hair and golden eyes that seemed to shine even brighter in the dark.

"Now that you mentioned it, there seems to be a number of rogue Nyshekek in Uthium trying to steal newborn babes." The Nyshekek King, Pinchas Orpheus, chimed in. Unlike The Theyrasians, The Nyshekekians have been pitied on by the divine darkness of the Goddess Nyxlia. Descendent of the vampires that had bred with humans. Made from darkness, yet they possessed no fangs nor the need to drink blood for their survival; Discriminated by the Vampires. The Goddess Nyxlia did not have the heart to repossess the gift of darkness, granted to the Vampires, which plunge their enemies into nothingness. Different from the Theyrasians, they were recognised by their black hair, maroon eyes, pale skin and beautiful strong black feathered wings.

The royals were divided into two. Those who believed that a second World War was inevitable; Another fight they might not survive. Those that were in denial; Desperate to hold onto the peace that had been so expensively paid for.

While the royals were fighting amongst themselves. One royal and one chancellor refused to participate. They knew the severity of the issue and they had to get things under control. Fast.

A bang shattered the royals from their chaos filled bubble; That was slowly building to a burst. Everyone turned, in shock, to the Kavynier Chancellor who had stood up from his seat, with his hands on the table.

"Apologies for the interruption my highnesses." Chancellor Conroy's sharp serious voice cut through the now silent room. "Now is not the time to be fighting amongst ourselves. The Kavynier Empire is in support, with the Alaric Kingdom. The Kavynier Empire requested a meeting today to share about our worrisome findings. The magic readings of the Magic Temples have been inconsistent as of 3 days ago. As such, Verenata had experienced a heavy rainstorm in the West Region, followed by a halestorm in the North Region and currently the South Region is experiencing a major drought. These drastic weather changes have yet to reach the other lands due to the shields placed on Verenata. As such, the consequences of the imbalanced magic levels are only affecting Verenata right now. The imbalance is spiraling at a rather slow pace right now. However, if it continues to spiral out of control at a much faster pace, it may affect the other lands as well. Furthermore, we have just heard about the significantly large number of turned rogues? Having looked through past records, these were signs that had led to the previous world war. But freight not. We have solved this once before and we can do it again. We might be able to find the cause of inconsistency and stop another war from happening. For now, let's focus on finding what we can about the previous war and to prepare for the possible war. Like our ancestors always believed, failure to prepare sets up for failure."

Hearing Chancellor Conroy's words, the royals seemed to feel slightly better. They knew what needed to be done to ensure that history did not repeat itself. Too much had been taken away from their people during the first world war.

"If there are no further questions, the meeting shall be adjourned. Until tomorrow. I hope you all have a nice rest." Chancellor Conroy dismissed the royals with a graceful bow of respect.

One by one the royals and the Chancellor shuffled out of the meeting room, to their mansions, leaving only The Alpha King and his Beta.

"I need a drink. You go back to the mansion first." The Alpha King gruffed out.

"I will get the driver." Taking the hint, Safdar bowed and exited the meeting room, leaving his Alpha King to ponder by himself.