Chapter Nine: The Recovery

Gracelynn opens her eyes to see a sleeping Benjamin and Emmaline and my smiling brother and parents. She sits up,smiles and the other three smile back. Emmaline wakes up and then, when seeing Gracelynn, she smiles and climbs into Gracelynn's hospital bed. Once, Benjamin wakes up She is hugged by everyone but Cal and we all talk. Once the nurse comes in everyone leaves but for Cal. The nurse injects a syringe of white liquid into Gracelynn's abdomen and leaves. Calvin looks confused and so she explains,"I can't eat or drink anything because of my stomach issue."
"Oh." He says, trying to choke the word down.
Gracelynn looks at Calvin and gives him a hug and several tears that aren't her's tap her cheeks. "Hey, there is no reason to be crying, Cal. I'm still here." Gracelynn says, wiping his face with her sleeve.
"I know I just that,..., I thought,...," Now the tears roll down his face and she holds him tight. He cries and cries, until the door opens. Then Calvin sits up dries his eyes, blows his nose, and acts as if nothing has happened.
Easton Turtle walks in with his left arm in a sling. Remembering a 'small' detail, Gracelynn asks her cousin an important question,"Can you tell our parents something for me?"
"Sure what is it?" Calvin asks, trying to break a smile onto his face. "Well, can you tell our parents that Easton and I are a..." Gracelynn says, trying to finish but doesn't.
"Sure. You better treat her good, or I'll pound you into the ground." Calvin snaps at Easton.He nods his head vigorously.
"Alright. Well, see you tomorrow morning Gracie." He says,leaving.
"Wait, Who's taking me home?" She asks.
"Jared." Then,Calvin is gone in a flash.
"So in his language is that a yes?" Easton asks.
"Yes." Gracelynn says super excited.
The response was led by another kiss and a warm hug. Easton then, decides to go to the massive pile of get well stuff on the table, walks to the movie section. He put the disc in the DVD player and sat down on the big orange couch. Easton then, waved Gracelynn over and she plopped down by Evan on the couch. When she saw the title, it finally clicked why Easton got up after he hugged her.
They were going to watch...
Frozen.
It was Easton's first time seeing it too. Gracelynn had seen it a gazillions times seeing she lived with an eight year old girl who loves Elsa.
She looked up at Easton and he grinned.
❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️
The movie ended and for some odd reason, Gracelynn was in tears. She looked at the clock, finding out that her floor closed three hours ago! Easton got up and ejected the movie and then, Gracelynn told him about the dilemma.
"Okay. I'll text my mom and let her know." He says.
'Oh no.' Gracelynn thinks to herself.
Mrs. Turtle said alright but don't do anything stupid.
First, Easton laughed an then, he understood what his mom met by that comment.
Once he was off the phone with his mother, Gracelynn says to him, "You can either sleep on the couch or on the bed, your choose."
"How about with an awesomely cute girl I know?" He says, slyly.
Before Gracelynn picks up this girl is her, she says,"Sure whatever you want to do."
"You promise you won't get mad?"
"Yes, I promise."
All of a sudden, he climbs into the hospital bed and pats the side like Gracelynn was supposed to sleep there.
"What are you doing?" She asks, totally lost.
"Well, if I remember correctly," He starts, pondering this. "You said you wouldn't mind if I slept with an awesomely cute girl. Well, your my girl."
This makes Gracelynn so lost its seriously not funny. I stand there until Easton gets up and locks his lips to mine.
She then snaps out of it and takes the right side of the bed and he grins.
"I just want to sleep. Nothing else." Gracelynn snaps at him.
"Well I couldn't think of anything else to do but that." Easton says, repulsed by the idea. "Only a harmless kiss goodnight." He then says, smiling.
"Okay." Gracelynn sighs.
He moves into kiss her and kisses her hard on the lips. Gracelynn tries to move away but Easton won't let go of her. She then hears someone coming and shoves him off the bed which he lands with a thud on the ground.
Gracelynn mouths, "Sorry." To a distraught Easton. The night guard comes in, looks around, and closes the door once he leaves.
She helps Easton up and he rubs his back. He climbs back in and tries the tactic again but Gracelynn rolls over. "Oh, Gracie doesn't like me anymore." Easton pouts.
"Sweetie, I do like you but we are sophomores and I'm just not ready."
"I know." Easton says, now being bashful.
Gracelynn kisses his cheek and rolls over. She pulls the flannel blankets up around her neck and cuddles into the blankets. She then, feels a strong arm wrap around her waist. Gracelynn sighs and before she can say,'Out', she is sound asleep.
💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤💤
In the morning, the doctor comes in and it is Gracelynn's twenty four year old biological brother, Jared. "Hey, sis, I hope your... What's going on here?!?!" A blond haired boy wakes up in Gracelynn's hospital bed. Gracelynn jumps up and guards him.
"Jared, It's not what you think it is."
"Well, I think it is!" Jared cries.
"Please, It's not. we were watching a movie and no one was here so he spent the night." Gracelynn tries to clarify, but Jared interrupts.
"Gracie, who is this boy?"
"Jared, this is my boyfriend. Easton Lakefeild." Gracelynn says.
Easton smiles at Jared. Jared smiles and reaches out to shake his hand.
Jared shakes his hand.
"Hey, I'm Jared Close, Gracelynn's cousin."
They shake hands and then Easton speaks up first. "Nice to meet you." Easton says,as he shakes Jared's hand vigorously.
"Yah, uh, you too." Jared says, as he pulls his hand back, out of Easton's grasp.
Gracelynn then, butts into the conversation. "Jared shouldn't we be moving along."
"I guess so. You know what my car looks like, right?"
"Yes, It's a 1969 Potomac Firebird in the east wing of the parking lot."
"Here." My popular 24 year old cousin throws his keys at me. Gracelynn catches them and walks off down the hall.
Easton begins to follow but is stopped by Jared's hand on his shoulder.
"You know Easton," he starts his spiel. "Gracie is a kind, forgiving, enjoyable person who deserves to be treated like the best. You know what I mean?"
Easton looks down the hall as Gracelynn exits through the big doors.
"Well, all I care about is her happiness in her time of sadness. She lost her parents almost ten months ago."
"I know." Jared says, quietly."That day we all lost something and it seems like you finally got a smile back on Gracelynn's face."
"Do you think I'm the best person for Gracie?" Easton asks, quietly.
"For now yes. We'll have to see about the future though." Jared says, shrugs ad begins to move forward again towards his car.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The End
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~