Chapter 1

Dedicated to Megcottoncandy who is the whole reason I published this book and didn't let it sit in my works as another unpublished book. Trust me, I have a lot of those.
×××××××××××××××

Hunters dead.

Well, not really. He went to live in the society. You know, that one society where the people live underground and capture reapers and fight them in an arena.

Well, even though he lives with the society where they believe being outside is "a suicide mission" he still tries to stay in contact with me. So, once a month when he goes on a scouting trip he comes to my tree stand and leaves a note. He comes every 23rd.

Well, today is the 23rd and honestly, I'm really excited. So after I get around and feed Mum and Lucy I run to my tree stand and see a note. I anxiously unfold it and read it to myself.

Hey Paige,

Its me again. Just wanted to update you on what's happening in my life right now. Well, I got married. I know I'm only 18 but in the society they believe you have to be married by then.

Her name is Mackenzie. We call her Mac tho. She reminds me of you in so many ways. She is kind and caring and has the same sandy hair you do. Dont worry, she'll never replace you. I wish you could meet her. Maybe one day you can.

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I found this old ring awhile back and thought you would love it.

I miss you Paige. I wish I could bring you into the society with me.

Signed, Hunter

P.S. Did you get the ring I attached to this. I found it stuck in one of those really old gumball machines.

I flip over the paper and see the ring. It has a silver band with a Yin Yang sign in the center. I quickly slide it on my left ring finger and proceed home.

On my way home I spot a rare sight. A small patch of moral mushrooms. There are 5 and I eagerly pick them all.

The Reapers eat them so they are hard to find, even though ever since the nuclear explosion the world seemed to be covered with these. So whenever you find them you know two things. One: you are in for a wonderful treat. Two: there will soon be Reapers. They can smell these things from 100 miles away.

I run to the house with the mushrooms tucked securely into my boot. I climb the ladder that leads to the house and pause when I think I hear the faint noise of Reapers. Reapers can't climb so most of our society lives in tree houses.

Once I get home and take off my coat and boots and rush to the kitchen where Marcus and his "wife" Jade are sitting at the table with my nephew Nicholas.

Marcus is my older brother and Jade is his girlfriend but since they had Nicholas and take care of me they consider themselves married. Nicholas is only 5 months old. I rush towards them and drop the mushroom right in the center of the table.

"Wow!" Marcus says as he takes the largest mushroom and places it in his hand.

"I know. How are we gonna split these?" I ask as I put the mushroom he took back on the table.

"Well how about we split up two between the four of us and another between Mum and Lucy?" Marcus asks me. I nod in agreement to his plan.

"Well that leaves two extra." Jade says as she sits Nic down on the floor and gets supper ready. "What we gonna do with them?"