🪰 Chapter 2 🐝

She chuckled as the the three kits rolled all over their father. She smiled as she saw the sun setting, and the moon rising. She sighed, and got up. "Kits, bedtime." She purred as the three kits groaned. She settled down in a moss nest, as Reddaisy settled behind her, keeping her and himself warm from the cold breezes. She saw her three kits settle in under the warmth of her tail, shivering as night fell. She knew her short haired tail wouldn't be enough for them, so she signaled with her ear that Reddaisy help. He obeyed, and he curled his long, fluffy tail around the kits.
Another moon had passed, and now the kits were 4 moons old. Meaning, they could go out of the nursery!
Jackalkit sprang out of the nursery, amazed by the beauty of the camp. "Wow, I never seen such a thing! Cloudnose has told me rumors and rumors about this camp, is it all true? Frostkit told me a long time ago that there's a Leaf-fall monster that eats naughty kits. They come at night in Leaf-fall, and if a kit is awake outside the nursery it will eat them!" Jackalkit shivered as Frostkit snickered. "It's true. So you better not disobey mama and be naughty, or you'll be eaten!" Frostkit shouted as Jackalkit yowled with fear. "Okay, stop scaring your brother." She laughed. "Mama, is it true? Is it true that there's a monster that's going to eat me? Have I been naughty?" He sobbed. "No, Jackalkit." She purred. "Also, I thought you were big and tough? Now, your acting like a scared mouse." Starkit laughed out loud as Frostkit bursted out laughing aswell. "What? No, I'm no mouse! I'm a tough big Tom and-" "BOO!" Frostkit shouted. "AAAAHHHHH!!" Jackalkit whined and hid under the protection of her paws, shaking with fear. "Well, now all you are is a shriveled up scared bird." Starkit snickered. "You'll truly be a medicine cat!" Frostkit sneered. "Now, now, kits. I was JUST like Jackalkit. Scared easily. But guess what? I'm a warrior now, arent I? Well, a queen since I have kits of course." "Why isn't papa a queen? He has kits!" "Only shecat's can be queens." Her whiskers twitched with amusement. She looked down, to see Jackalkit gone. She looked back to see his eyes glowing in the nursery. Awww, poor Jackalkit. She thought. She saw her two shekits playing happily, did they WANT to exclude Jackalkit? She sighed. She padded into the nursery, and sat down beside her tomkit. "Don't worry, Jackalkit. They'll play with you someday." "Promise?" Jackalkit looked sad. "Frostkit always makes fun of me for being small, Starkit never pays attention to me, papa seems like he likes my sisters more, and you.. you seem like you love all of us equally." Jackalkit looked up at her with hope in his eyes. Tears began to flood his eyes, as he buried his face in her fur. "I'm just a scrawny mouse! I'm no use!" His yowl was muffled by her fur, but she could hear her dear kit. "Jackalkit.." She sighed. "Everyone has a use." She purred as he looked up at her. "Promise?" "Promise." She meowed calmly. "Being a runt gives you advantages. For instance, fighting and hunting. The prey and enemy won't see you, cause your so small." She purred as his eyes lit up. "Okay then!" She felt relief when Jackalkit sprang up, leaping out of the nursery confidently. She poked her head out to see him wrestling with Starkit. Frostkit seemed annoyed and unhappy, but Starkit and Jackalkit seemed to be having fun. Her eyes lit up with pride as she saw him pin his much bigger sister, and so the kits continued fighting. She gasped in astonishment, as she saw Jackalkit bite Starkit's tail and drag her down. "Okay kits, I think you need a nap time." She purred as she saw Jackalkit and Starkit was exhausted.