Chapter 8 - The Unfortunate Accident

(Make sure to read the first section - CHARACTERS. I need your suggestion for your character in the story as Edward's mate.)

I felt a cold touch on my face and slowly opened my eyes. I was still in his embrace. I blinked a few times before shifting away quickly. His hold around my waist was tough though. I backed up to look at his face pale face and shiny eyes.

"Good morning," said Cosmo.

I grabbed my hair, trying to remember what had happened last night.

"When did I fall asleep?" I asked in a sleepy voice.

"After we kissed," he said with a smile. "We were just cuddling in silence and then you fell asleep."

"Did I sleep all night?" I asked being cautious.

"Indeed." He said looking pleased about it. "You slept all night long like a log in my arms."

I froze hearing his words. This wasn't something natural for a being like me. My kind doesn't sleep for that long. Even an hour-long sleep is like ten hours of sleep for me. I looked out the window and saw the sky's changing shade. It was dawn. Cosmo left so I could get ready for school and he had to go to work too.

That morning when I went outside to wait for Edward or his siblings, Bella pulled up outside my house in her truck.

"Hey," I said trying to be casual.

"You want a ride?" She asked looking guilty.

But exactly at that moment, Jasper and Alice arrived in their car.

"Never mind, I'll see you at school," Bella said before driving off quickly.

To my surprise, Edward hadn't come to school even today. I was curious as to what was going on. Was Bella right? Was Edward avoiding her for some weird reason?

"Ed hasn't returned to Forks yet?" I asked Emmett when I met him at the parking lot.

"Not yet, I guess." He said dismissively. "C'mon, let's go to class." He added abruptly.

Yup! Something was definitely going on.

The next few days passed on with ease. Bella was behaving normally with me. She didn't offer me the ride but she would sit in my room after we all had dinner at my house every night. We'd discuss our homework and often talk about the music of our choice. One of the best things about Bella -- she didn't bug me like other girls at school used to.

Cosmo didn't come back to me after that night and he didn't even come to talk to me anywhere at all. I wondered why he was doing that. But then again, maybe he was busy with work. Jasper and Alice stopped talking about him in front of me. This made me feel even more curious about what was going on.

"You're coming home tomorrow, right?" Jasper asked as he and Alice drove me back home from school. "You promised -- for the weekend."

"Yeah..." I said, even though I was unsure. "Keeping my promise."

"But what's the point?" Alice said sounding unhappy. "Cosmo isn't home at the moment."

"She'll be with all of us," Jasper suggested to her. "Anyway, we have to tell her a lot of things about us, remember?"

"What kind of things?" I asked.

"You know, this and that," said Alice. "We wanted to share some secrets with you about how we're... Different than humans."

"Oh," I raised an eyebrow. "You guys are going to tell me about it?"

"Of course," Jasper glanced back at me. "That's why we've been trying to get you to our home."