Chapter 4

Harley

She told me that I was drunk and she dragged me on the sofa...did something happen between us? What if it did? I don't remember. Crap. That hickey is staring straight at me. I probably look like a dumb seal with my mouth hanging open waiting for her to say something. She starts frowning then realisation dawns on her face and she whips her hand up to cover the mark.

"It's not....we didn't...I..uh..." she stumbles out, "We didn't do anything if that's what you're thinking, not that I think that's what you're thinking, but it was from my straighteners cause I wasn't paying attention, that's all. Capeesh? Ok, goodbye." She finishes and leaves quickly out the door before I can say a word, hand still covering what I now see is a burn. That hint of red plasters her cheeks again. She talks so fast sometimes I can't understand a word. It's like words just fall out her mouth.

Once regaining normal functions, I follow her to the car, put my suitcase in the boot and slide in next to her. She's now sandwiched between me and Skye, picking at her nails. I grab her hand to stop her before they bleed and her eyes flit up to mine, glazed with confusion. Her small hands engulfed in mine feel normal. That is, until she rips away from my grip as if it has burned her and tucks her hands into her lap. Frowning, I shift my body to face the window and watch the world slide by.

The car ride was pretty boring after our moment. Skye and Drew were gossiping quietly and I sat sulking not knowing what to do or say.

Arriving at the airport was fun. Not. The media is crazy all the time and it's difficult to get through. We hustle out together and grab our luggage then head to security. All of us were getting hounded by cameras so eventually, I just decided to stop and say hi. "Harley, Harley!! Great race yesterday! How are you feeling for next week?" I hear from a reporter...I'm not sure which one so I just keep smiling at the camera. "Oh, it was amazing! Really glad I managed to pull that one out of the bag, although I guess I should thank Drew  for basically handing it to me! I'm definitely prepared for next week but I'm more excited to be back in Monaco." They ask more questions but I just turn away, catching a glimpse of a sullen looking Drew just off to the side, obviously dissatisfied with my speech.

I tune them out and carry on through security, now escaping the cameras, then make my way to board the plane. Skye is already seated with Drew. Drew's sitting in the aisle seat as she's terrified of flying, of heights in general. I decide to sit in one of the seats in front of them, taking a picture out the window for social platforms.

Our flight to Monaco is smooth going. Smooth going in the sense of turbulence. Drew, on the other hand, looks deathly sick and pale like Casper the ghost. Skye manages to assist in getting her hand luggage and off the plane but she still looks a little wobbly. I grimace from behind her. The reporters are all waiting for us when we get past security however we mostly ignore them and go straight to the car, ready to go to the hotel. The jet lag is already kicking in.

The trip to our hotel was short and sweet. We've stayed here for the past two years of coming to Monaco and there have been a few random trips as well since Monaco is a great place to be. Our team basically leave us be to get settled however I know this week is going to be pressure filled ready for the race. It's a life changing opportunity so it's bound to be pressured.

~

Our week is spent at the track. Drew and I have been on the on-hand simulators, track walking and discussing strategies for probably more than 2/3 of the week...and it's only Wednesday. Tomorrow we have two of our Free Practice Sessions, Friday is our final Free Practice and Saturday is Quali day.

"Hey Grant!" I pause my walk back to my car. Turning, I come face to face with the only person who openly calls me by my last name, like my first doesn't exist. "Yes, Drew?" 

"I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a lift?" She asks, embarrassed I'm sure, " Skye had to leave early to meet someone and I came with her and since we're both on the same team....it's fine if not, I'm sure you wouldn't want to be alone with me, I'll find someone else." She turns to walk off. "Wait, Drew, it's fine. I can take you," I say, swallowing. I gesture to the passenger door to which she then opens and climbs in. This is going to be fun.

Not.