Chapter 6

Harley

Is she okay? Is my first thought when the race gets restarted. I can see on the cameras that she got out of the car but she doesn't look to good. Her being conscious is amazing though. It wasn't a huge crash but she spin in to the wall violently. She has to hurt. When the track is finally cleared, we get called to go out and line up ready to race again. Engines running and lights out for the second time today. I pass the corner that Athy lost control and I can't help but think what she's feeling now. The race goes swiftly with no more flags to stop the race and I win. I won the race that means the most at this moment. I could be in. In to the team that I've dreamt of for years.

Once out of the car, I catch up with Clarke and we discuss the race. We then the corner to go back into the garage and I stop in my steps. The McLaren recruit is here. Mr Ford. By my car, right in front of me. I'm sweating.

"Harley! Great to see you...how did you feel after that?" he questions straight away. "Oh it was great! Really nice to win here in Monaco, just unfortunate that Drew couldn't finish too." His eyebrows furrow, maybe I said the wrong thing. "Yes, well, why don't we talk privately." It's not a question. He turns around and walks to the motorhome to find a unused room and I follow quietly. Once finding a room, Ford holds the door open and tells me to take a seat.

"Coming back to what you said back in the garage, Harley....we were never here to view Athelia. In fact, she was never considered. Only you. You have been on our radar for a while due to being in our Formula 2 team and we now want you to move into the F1 team, if that's something you'll consider?" His face seems serious but his tone light. "Yes, absolutely!" His face brightens as does mine. What an opportunity. "I'll get the contracts sorted and then there's the interviews and conferences to sort but we can get it all ready. We can't wait for next year Harley." Ford stands and shakes my hand but before he can leave, I open my mouth, "Sorry, Mr Ford, but what did you mean that Drew wasn't considered? She's been amazing and winning a lot more than I have so I'm just confused." His expression changes again. Mouth opening and closing a few times before, "Harley, I'm sure you're aware that there are no female drivers on the grid in Formula 1 at the moment, am I correct?" I nod back. "We don't want to be the first team to take that risk. It is a big leap for not only the team but the whole grid and it's not worth it at the moment. She's a great driver, yes, but she's female and you're not. Hence why you got the seat. Be happy, Harley. Big things are coming," he turns but as he walks out the door, he says, "Oh and Harley, I'd appreciate it if you kept this conversation between us." He smiles but it's more like a menacing snarl, a warning.
I'm gobsmacked at the revelation. Yes, I always made comments about her being female but I never thought that they would never consider her just because of her gender. It's astonishing. How do I keep that from her?

Clarke rushes through the door a few minutes later. "Athelia is fine, just got the call, she's a bit bruised but I think the crash felt worse than it was because of today. She's in shock mostly. Did you get the seat?" She smiles brightly, expectant of an answer. "Uh, yeah I got it," I reply while plastering a fake smile on my face which she doesn't find believable. "Ok then! Let's go do some interviews!" Clarke is quick to turn back out the door, not entirely waiting to check if i'm following but I do anyway. I just want to see Athy and make sure she's ok.

~

My face was pretty blank while doing the interviews, I knew Athy was ok but it felt wrong to be here without her. It's weird. We spent so long hating eachother in this sport but now, it's all different. I can't get her off my mind. I've text her so much I can't count them and called her four times and she hasn't replied yet. Heading back to my car, I can't stop checking if she's read the messages but every time, it's still the same. There's loads of notification from social medias, liking pictures of race wins, tagging me in videos, asking questions on twitter. I don't care right now.

After getting back to the hotel, I finally see that Athy has text me back.

I'm fine.

Just two words. That's all there is but it's enough for now. She's probably angry, sad, hurt and probably even disappointed. In herself and me.

I've got the seat. She doesn't know yet. I have to be the one to tell her but I can't bring myself to do it over the phone. Showering and getting ready to sleep takes me all of thirty minutes. I'm just about under the covers when a slight knock on the door stops me. Walking to the door with a frown, I open it cautiously. Oh, it's Athy...

"Hi," she says. Pink brushes her cheeks like she's been in the sun five minutes too long. "Hey," I'm confused why she's here, "Uh, come in, come in, are you ok?" She slides through the gap in the door and I shut it behind her, leading her to my bed to sit. "Yeah, yes, no injuries," her mouth forms a smile, "I just didn't want to go to sleep alone." Sleep...alone? She wants to stay here? What...

"Totally fine, you can stay here if you want to..? I mean, you don't have to but the offers there and since you're already here...." I stumble over my words. "I'll stay," she mumbles and is already getting in to my bed, rolling over so there's space for me to slide in. "Uh, you sure? I can sleep on the sofa?" I question her although there is no sofa, only the floor. "Harley, don't be silly, get in," she snaps but not harshly. Harley. Sounds nice. "Ok, yeah, ok." I'm basically running to get in behind her, I'm not sure how to lay. Eventually, she grabs my hand to pull it round her. I choke on air. "Just sh and go to sleep," there's the stubbornness back. Her breaths deepen and slow and then I remember that I didn't tell her about McLaren.