Untitled Part 7

Tobio breathed in tempting smells coming from the restaurant's open kitchen and fidgeted on his chair. I knew this place will be good. He had chosen it on instinct. Reina snickered, seeing how impatiently he ogled dishes a waiter was bringing for other customers.

They were dining in this unknown restaurant because they were spending the weekend not in Rome but in Florence. They had already spent a few hours in the hotel when they first arrived because, well, they hadn't seen each other for over a week. But they got hungry eventually, and Reina said she'd rather go out than order room service. Tobio was ok with that. He knew how to find good food—it was like a survival instinct for him. It took them only a few minutes' walk from the hotel to find this place. He was a bit worried when he saw there were candles on the tables, but apparently, it was for the mood, not because of the electricity shortage. Apparently, it was what they called a "fancy place". Its vibe made him glad that he brought with him one of the suits Miwa had bought him, that he otherwise almost never wore. And Reina was certainly happy that she could doll up a bit without them looking too mismatched.

Her dress, which on a rack looked like a shapeless, randomly sawn piece of shimmery fabric, was now loosely flowing over her body in the most tempting manner. Always cautious to cover up her chest, she was compensating by having it so short that it ended above her thigh-high boots. Tobio thought that Reina always had a thing for... hmmm... girly? girlish? girl-like? clothes like that. Well, it suited her soft features and overall delicacy. But was it those boots, the chainlike thing on her wrist, or dark-red lipstick, there was always a distortion to her outfits. A silent giveaway, that she wasn't such a good girl, did whatever she pleased, changed her mind every few minutes, listened mainly to indecent rock bands, and would lose all of her limits in the bedroom if you knew how to get her going. Well, maybe the general public didn't know those particular characteristics of her like he did, especially the last one, but nobody would assume her to be a prim and proper princess these days. She made sure of that. Although she looked as if she had put her clothes together on the run, and indeed would never take too much time to get ready, he knew that her style was a result of hours of prior deliberation, she and her friends indulged in since high school. He was so thankful she never involved him in it, and he could just admire the results when, however rarely, they were going out.

Then a sudden thought hit him. Wait... dinner at a fancy restaurant, a luxurious hotel, a city with a lot of old buildings. A smile appeared on his face. Could it be?

"Why do you look so pleased with yourself?" Reina asked suspiciously.

"Reina, I nailed it this time, right? I totally nailed it."

"What?"

"A romantic weekend getaway," he said with pride.

"Technically... yes," she admitted after thinking for a moment, "but it spoiled a bit by the fact, that the main reason why we're here is that it's one of those rare weekends when you don't play a match, so you could visit me for a change, but proposed to meet halfway between Rome and Pisa instead because you wanted to cut down your travel time."

"Hmm, whatever," he pouted and mumbled under his nose, "you know how much time I spent traveling for matches."

She's just raised her brows as if to remind him that she traveled as often to spend time with him in Rome, hell, even sometimes to go to his away games. But then she smiled. "Still, I like it. It's nice to do something different for a change. So yeah... you winged it by accident, but we might call it that. A romantic weekend getaway. It's what this city is known for, after all." Then her face got disturbingly excited. "So, do you want to do a grand tour tomorrow? Visit all the romantic places? See the Duomo, hit some art galleries, and then go for a stroll over all those picturesque bridges? Well, it might take a whole day, but if we plan it right, we might catch a view of the sunset over the Arno river. They say it's so romantic."