Chapter Seven

They are back at the Institute now and Clary looks around the room and questions "I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes?"

Izzy answers her "Because we protect humans."

Clary sighed and then looked at all five of them "You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Aria and Kaid both smiled at what Alec said.

Clary scoffed and Izzy looked at Alec "Alec, not now."

Jace looked at Clary "Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out, they want the cup, and they think you have it."

Clary rolled her eyes "But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone. What am I supposed to do now?" Clary looked at her sister "you knew about this; do you know about this cup too?"

Aria rolled her eyes and sighed, "yes Clary I know about the Mortal Cup, But here's the thing I don't know where it is mom never mentioned it to me, I didn't even know that she had it."

Alec steps forward "We have to report to the Clave"

Jace rolls his eyes "Great"

Alec gives him a look "They have to know what we've learned about Valentine."

That is when Clary snaps "What that he's our father great fine tell them but what good does that do Simon?"

Aria gave her sister a look, "Clary it's all connected."

Jace cut her off making Aria roll her eyes, "the vamps want the cup."

Clary gave him a look, "Why it makes new Shadowhunters."

"Nobody wants Valentine forming and army loyal to himself."

Then Izzy adds on to what Alec said "Plus it controls demons."

Aria sighed looking at her little sister "They'll propose a trade Simon for the cup."

Clary huffs "So the vampires will trade Simon for the cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the cup, either way, I lose someone I love." Aria rolled her eyes at her sister as the younger girl looked between the shadowhunters, ""what if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves."

Alec gave Clary a look. "so this doesn't matter to you?"

"Yes, of course, it matters" Clary snaps at him "Listen... when you saved my life... I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

Izzy looked between the four of them, "It's true she was raised as a mundane."

Alec looks at his little sister "What are you her spokesman now?"

"I don't need a spokesman I need a plan" Then Clary walks off.

Aria looks over at Izzy "It wasn't your fault ya know, they had to have already been inside the van before you guys even got there."

Izzy smiles at her "Thanks Aria."

Then they walk over to the monitors and Clary stutters "Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon? Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"

Aria shook her head at her sister "Actually no, that was Camille's outfit, right?" Aria looked over at Alec, Kaid, Jace, and Izzy "They're locals"

Izzy nodded, adding, "They're at the Hotel DuMort, down on Gansevoort Street."