TEN. SYMPATHIES

"YOU'VE GOT A visitor, Miss Woods

"YOU'VE GOT A visitor, Miss Woods."

Elena looked up from her hospital bed as the nurse called out her name, then nodded in response. Her attention was currently caught by a beautiful bouquet of flowers on her bedside table. She could tell immediately that they were expensive. White eryngiums, pale pink roses, cerise roses, pink veronicas, white lisianthuses and many more species of flowers that Elena couldn't name were displayed in an elegant vase, with a silk ribbon tied neatly around the stems. She reached over for the neat card left next to the vase, turning over the cursive 'Get Well Soon' side to see who it was from.

Sympathies, James Wesley.

A light scoff of disbelief escaped Elena's lips. Seriously? She stretched her arm to put the card back, just as Karen Page gently knocked on the open door of Elena's room. Elena's deep brown eyes met Karen's baby blues, a bright smile crossing the former's face. She shifted against the pillow and sat up straight so she could see the blonde a little better.

"Hey," Karen said, sitting down on the end of Elena's bed. "How're you doing?"

"In what way? Because physically? Could be a lot worse considering I got poisoned. But emotionally? Feel like fucking shit," Elena murmured, running her hand through her hair. She grimaced, knowing that it probably looked like it needed washing after that long night. "But they said I got off better than others. I think some people died. I'm just happy I asked for mine to be watered down," she said with a sigh.