Chapter 1- The Beginning

12 October 2017, Thursday

"Did you do what I asked you to do?" Lily Banks asked threateningly, narrowing her eyes until they were thin little slits. They looked like that of a snake's, cold and sharp, one that was going to attack. It suited her perfectly given her personality. Her eyes were so cold you could see snow in them if you are close enough. She was a mean, cruel serpent. She did not care about others' feelings and would just hurt them whenever she could. However, she was never punished for it. She got away with everything. She always got whatever she wanted just because she thought she was better than everyone and rich. But, that will be discussed later.

The bright morning sun shined on them gracefully, the clouds parting slowly. The clouds were a pristine white with the sun's rays shining through it brightly. The sky was a baby blue which was favourable, the breeze flowing through Cassandra's hair as the trees swayed happily. The birds chirped cheerily calling for one another as they zoomed up and down the sky looking for food. There was not a rainy cloud in the sky, it was such a beautiful day, perfect for going outside. The weather may have been perfect but the events were far from it.

"No..." 14-year-old Cassandra Jeffords replied, as she cowered and trembled, knowing what was coming next. She always knew. Cassandra flinched even though she knew when Lily sighed disappointingly, perspiration forming at her temples. Cassandra shivered under her grip despite it being a hot day.

They were at the back of the school, where no one could see them. It was during recess so most of the students were in the cafeteria, eating their meals, oblivious to the cruel events of that day. Even if students passed by they would quickly turn away and pretend they did not see anything. Such was the power of Lily Banks.

Cassandra, as scared and timid as she was, with her brown eyes wide and her breathing uncontrollable, shook violently under Lily's sharp gaze. She tried extremely hard to avoid Lily's eyes and stared at the beautiful blue sky above or the lush green grass beneath.She was on the verge of tears. She stood rooted to the ground, whimpering, her eyebrows raised so much it reached her hairline, her forehead crumpling into folds. Her hands clammy and wet, beads of sweat forming on her temples. The hairs at the back of her neck stood perfectly still, not moving even an inch even when the breeze hit.

Lily was holding a can of Coke as she took a sip. She then gave the can to her minions and faced Cassandra again with those cold eyes. With a sudden motion, both of Lily's bony, slim hands slammed against the wall beside Cassandra on each side with great power such that a 'whoosh' sound could be heard, her pale fingers contrasting with the wall behind them. Her fingernails looked perfectly manicured meaning that she had gone to the nail salon recently. Lily tapped her index finger on the wall impatiently. She then looked away for a second as an expression flashed onto her face. Even though the expression was gone in a split second, Cassandra saw that Lily was blushing a tad bit. Cassandra felt her heart in her throat beat faster, her blood pressure going higher by the second. Her tear ducts closer to giving out, she still tried to look away from Lily's piercing eyes. They were beautiful eyes, menacing in their own way and masking Lily's true feelings as usual.

Lily was very strong because she was on the school's basketball team. But she used her strength for evil more than for good. She always had evil, astonishing intentions on her mind even though she may have seemed like an angel. She had the looks of one and it stopped there.

Cassandra's shiny, chestnut brown hair fell loosely from her head and onto her shoulders, swaying with the wind. She struggled to get out of Lily's wall slam. She wiggled like a worm trying to go under one of the arms beside her to run through the enormous glass gates of the school to feel a sense of security under the teachers' dirty looks. Cassandra felt like she wanted to just evaporate into the air around her or teleport to the void of the universe where no one could find her or disturb her. She wanted to melt into the ground to be one with the grass. She wanted to disappear into the forest and become one with nature. She wanted to run away at full speed like a cheetah. She wanted to become a snake and bite Lily in the face. But what she wanted the most was to live a peaceful life with her parents, protected in a safe bubble in the stunning sky. Well, not all people could get what they wanted in life.