Chapter 3

Caitlyn felt incredibly stupid. Her parkour felt mediocre, her mind scattered and her senses overstimulated. She couldn't have prepared herself for that place, or for the way Vi moved around it. As if she were flying through a racing course that she'd been through thousands of times before. While Caitlyn was the rookie, the one who crashed into every boundary and obstacle. Which made her feel like shit, but she kept going, mostly so she wouldn't lose Vi and end up lost down there.

"Vi! Where the hell are we going!?"

"I have some work I gotta do before we can go play. Give me 5, 10 minutes top."

She really did look like she was on a mission. It must have been important because even though Caitlyn was a little taller than her, she still struggled to keep up. Caitlyn didn't want to admit it but she found her resilience enticing. That's when they made it to a lit up building, even brighter than the others around and the bouncer's obviously knew who she was. Letting her and Caitlyn in easily.

The door opened to a long hallway connected to multiple rooms. None of which had full doors, only beads or silks hanging from their frames, that is except for the one at the very end of the hall.

"Vi, where are we?" Caitlyn's question fell flat as she looked around into the first rooms they passed. "Are we in a whore house?" She tried to keep her voice low, not wanting to anger someone in the first 20 minutes of being in the undertow. At least anyone that wasn't Vi. But she also didn't expect to end up in a place like this.

"What if we are your highness, I have to meet with someone. Also, they prefer the word brothel." Caitlyn looked at her like she was crazy, which in fairness, everyone down there kind of was. "Just act like you work here and you'll be fine."

"Are you serious? I cannot!" She definitely was a little crazy.

"This is why I don't like people like you. People who have lived such glamorous lives. You have all the right assets and everyone down here won't remember tonight, you'll be fine, cupcake."

"I don't think I would call my life all that glamorous." Trying to avoid the fact that Vi just commented on her appearance, she chose to only answer the first part of what she said.

"So then what would you call it, princess?" Caitlyn got backed into the wall from previously getting prowled.

"Would you stop calling me by those shitty formal names? My name is Caitlyn, use it. And if you must know, my life for someone with a supposed promising future, is going objectively bad."

In such close proximity and a decent amount of light, Vi got a glimpse of her face for the first time tonight. Fully seeing the forming bruise on the left side of her cheek, light purples and yellows taking to it. Vi took her hand and brought it up to Caitlyn's chin. Turning her face towards the ceiling to get a better look before moving them to trace across the swelling.

"What is this?"

"It's not important."

"No, what the fuck happened?"

Caitlyn had to pause and think about her next move. She's known this girl for less than a day, she is the princess and Vi is a commoner. If she were to be truthful here and Vi told her connections in the undertow, her father would be ruined. But then again, she didn't tell anyone that she met her. That she was hanging out with the princess, which made her trust her a little more than nothing. So she continued truthfully but cautiously.

"I got into an argument and they didn't hold back."

"Who?" She somehow got even closer, hand pinning her against the wall. It made Caitlyn's breath hitch. "Who did it?"