Chapter 9

The morning was hectic, Caitlyn was woken up an hour earlier than usual by Katerina. And considering her sleep was not nearly up to par, her energy came purely from nerves and adrenaline. She was rushing to help get everything in place, as she herself hurried to be presentable for the people. In the back of her mind though, she was only really worrying about how Vi would see her. About what happened and what would happen, between Vi, her father, and herself. As well as if the passionate kiss from not too long ago would be shared between them again. Lost in thought, she didn't realize that she had stopped in the middle of the ball room with her hand on her chest to slow down her breathing.

"Are you ready for the guests to start coming in, Miss Caitlyn?" Kyler had come up behind her and placed a calloused hand on her shoulder.

"Oh," Looking herself up and down to make sure she was well off, she nodded. "Yes, I think so. Do you see anything missing?"

"I don't believe so Miss Caitlyn, you look as beautiful as always."

"Thank you Kyler, then you can tell the guards to open up the gates. Is my father going to join me in greeting our guests?"

"No, he wishes to make his entrance when dinner is served. Otherwise he will be watching from the balcony." Above the ballroom there was a small catwalk of sorts around the rim of it, so Caitlyn's father could watch all of his guests there without leaving his privacy.

"Right, I guess it's up to me to make a good impression. As always."

"Sorry Miss, I'll go give the commands to let everyone in. I'm sure Monsieur Louis is more than ready to finally do his job properly again."

"I'm sure."

Caitlyn was left to cover the main entrance of the castle alone, or at least however alone you could be when you're a ward. Leaving any social anxiety brimming at her throat to drown in her stomach, she gulped as she watched the first few families and groups start entering. It wasn't an obligation for them to personally greet anyone, but now more than ever Caitlyn needed to give off a good image. Get as many people on her side as possible.

It was routine and frightfully tedious, because she knew that every person shaking or kissing her hand was sticking up to her. Faking their compassion and respect to display their sons, to win her love. Of course it wouldn't work, but they didn't know that, they thought their wealthy men had a chance. Caitlyn almost had to keep herself from laughing at their ignorance.

That is until some all too familiar, friendly faces, finally entered. She first saw Jayce's step-sister Sky, followed by her dad and Jayce's mom. Then finally the boy she grew up with and Vi on his arm. She was disguised and quite well at that, but still Caitlyn saw it was her. And though she was shaken by the fact Vi was holding onto his body, she knew deep down it was an act. Yet still wished it was her, that she was her date for the night.

"Your Highness! It's lovely to see you, I'm so glad that this could happen once again. I've always noticed private balls are much more pleasant than public ones." That comment came from Jayce's mother, a lovely older woman no doubt, only sometimes she didn't quite know how to filter her opinion.

"Hello Mrs.Talis, no need for formalities here, you know you may call me Caitlyn. And though I wouldn't know, I'm sure you're right in your statement about these things, I'm excited to have everyone I could get here today."

"Oh yes Caitlyn, you must save a dance for Jayce. He isn't very good as you know, but it will make it that much more entertaining!" Caitlyn laughed, this was easily the best interaction she had with someone all evening.

"Mother, please. Cait, it's been a while." Jayce's cocky smile showed through as he tried to greet Caitlyn with their made up handshake.

"Oh well, you know my father." She brought him into a friendly hug instead as she said that.