022

Mia knew how her mum had left. And she didn't know how she felt about it. she knew that she missed her. But the last few months had been nothing but stress for her and Iain.

Mia knew she wanted to keep a relationship with her mum. But she also knew she wanted to make it work with Iain. Especially as she was having his baby. And she just wanted her life to work. But it wasn't always easy.

Mia woke that morning and sighed. Iain was working a double. She sighed as she felt the baby moving. She rubbed her bump and climbed out of bed.

She checked her phone and saw a text from her mum;

'Miss you darling. Hopefully see you soon - Mum x'

Mia smiled a little. She typed out a reply and got ready for work. She quickly made some toast and a hot chocolate.

Mia looked to see another text from her mum. She didn't reply knowing she would be late for work if she did.

All that Mia knew was that everything seemed like a mess at the moment. And she wished it could have been simple.

***
Mia went into work. She saw Iain leaving on a call out and waved to him. He blew her a kiss. Mia saw Grace and walked over to her.

Grace turned to her and smiled. "Hey. I didn't think you'd be back so soon. Are you okay?" She asked as she looked to her.

Mia nodded. "Yeah. I'm good. I'm just having to take it easy. I can't get too stressed. And I just have to somehow not get stressful patients. Which isn't always easy. Cause you know, this whole ED is stress central," she told her.

Grace smiled. She pulled her into an hug. "Just take it easy yeah? It's the only thing you can do."

"I'm going to try. But I just want to make it work. My mum has texted. She's hoping I'll go and see her soon. I want to. I just feel like it will be awkward. I know we sort of made up before she left. But it just feels so awkward," Mia said.

Grace nodded. "I get that. You've always got me. I hope you know that."

"I know. I'm grateful. I truly am," Mia said as she hugged her.

***
Mia was sitting in the staffroom. She smiled as Iain walked in and kissed her. She looked to him. "You off home?" She asked.

Iain nodded. "I'm off to get some sleep. I'm knackered."

Mia smiled. "I'll bring pizza back with me if you want?"

"Yes please. You're a doll."

Mia shrugged and smiled. She knew how she and Iain were just taking it one day at a time. But she was worried that it would have all been for nothing.

Iain pulled her into his arms and kissed her. "I know you're worried. But everything is going to be okay. You know that right?" He said.

"I hope so."

Iain kissed her and smiled. He knew how their relationship hadn't always been easy. But could their relationship work? Or would it have all been for nothing?