Chapter 9

---Paige’s POV---

“Paige.”

Block.

“Come on Paige. Please talk to me.”

Block.

I looked back down at the pond I had come across when I walked away from Jacob a few minutes, maybe hours ago. As soon as those words were out in the open…it was even too painful to think about. I had walked back to the pack first, where I had described what happened through the link with Nick, using as little words as possible before I had pleaded for a moment’s rest.

He had nodded his big wolfy head while his lip curled up in a silent snarl. I used the given head start to change in my falcon and fly away from the camp, just as Jacob entered from the other side. I blinked lazily, still hearing the snarls and growls when I had flown up. Probably Nick going after Jacob when he saw through my eyes what had happened.

My hand was mindlessly drawing figures on my flat stomach as I thought back to what Sean had revealed. The fact that a new life was growing in me…my hand flattened on my lower abdomen as I thought about it. There was a fairly good chance that it wasn’t just one life; werewolves were known to have up to 5 children per litter, which is why they give birth in wolf form.

The pressure on my mind from Jacob’s attempts to talk to me was annoying but I kept blocking him so I couldn’t hear him anymore. If he didn’t want to hear my explanation a few moments ago, I wouldn’t humor him with that courtesy. When there was another nudge, I sighed and opened the barrier for Nick.

“What?” I asked tiredly, not wanting to be disturbed at the moment. Its not every day that a vampire tells you that you’re pregnant, you get so excited that you hug him and your mate finds you in that position. My emotions had peaked even more, excited to tell Jacob the news and then…

A whine sounded through my head before the voice of Nick, filled with worry and pain came through. “Where are you sis? Sean is nervous now that he told you. I have to hand it to him, he has nerves of steel if he can keep away from you although you carry his soulmate with you.”

I smiled for the first time, shaking the sadness off me for a moment. Sean’s Beloved…I chuckled before replying, “I’ll be there shortly but I want some time to think. Sean will understand this. Has he told you what happened when…”

A growl was my reply as Nick voiced his anger and annoyance. “Yes, the idiot I call my best friend has accused you of cheating. Seriously Paige, your mate isn’t one of the brightest out there if you ask me. Everyone knows that you wouldn’t do such a thing. And when could you? We’ve been on the road for weeks now and every second before was spent with the rest of the pack. Only a fool would disrespect the Alpha-pair and the mating bond this way.”

I sighed while I stood up, wanting to turn the conversation around so we wouldn’t discuss this topic. My anger still flared up uncontrollably every time it was mentioned how my own mate, my mate that I had chosen with everything I have to offer just had accused me of cheating on him, and what was even worse, I knew now that he could have smelled the fact that I’m pregnant with his pups if he had paid attention to his surroundings instead of his jealousy.