Chapter 5

After a while of crying, Aisha fell asleep in the Duke's arms and both him and Theor sighed in relief. “You really should control your expression in front of the lady, your grace." Theor said in a whispered voice. “I don't see the need to.” The duke replied calmly. “What? Of course you need to! You obviously scared her!” Theor snapped. “Keep your voice down, you'll wake her up" He glared at Theor, “And remember who you're talking to.” Theor gulped in fear and bowed head “Y-yes, I apologise.” The Duke looked at him and sighed, “Go and call Baton, and ask him to bring a crib here while coming.” Theor nodded and got up then bowed again before leaving the room.

In a bit, both Theor and Baton walled into the room followed by two servants who brought in the crib. Baton told them to place the crib and leave and they did as much. Theor locked the door after they left. “You were looking for me my lord?” Baton asked with the bow. The Duke got up and gently placed Aisha in the crib before going back to his desk, “I did, there are matters that must be taken care of immediately.”

Baton noticed the menacing look on the Duke's face and guessed, “Is it regarding the young lady?”. The Duke nodded, “Yes, we cannot trust those servants to take care on Aisha, all of them are under that woman's command.” Baton smiled softly, “Lady Aisha, what a fine name you have selected my lord.” The Duke looked proud for a second before he cleared his throat and returned back to his serious expression, “Oh course, but you are missing the point here.”

“Right, pardon me.” Baton chuckled lightly before collecting himself and becoming serious as well, “What you said is true, just a while ago I saw a few maids gathered around the lady, they did not seem to have good intentions based on their expressions" The Duke rested his face on the back of his hand with a menacing expression, “We will have to deal with this problem soon.” Theor on the other hand looked a little confused, “I don't understand, can't we just fire the current staff and hire new people?”

“We would have already done that of it was that easy.” The Duke sighed as he looked at the sleeping child. “That's right, even if we do change the staff Marquis Rane, lady Donna's father, will just try to get more of his people in.” Baton explained further. “Cutting its branches will not kill a tree, we have to destroy it from the roots. For now, just keep that woman away from Aisha and one of us must stay with her at all times. Never leave her alone with the servants, we have no idea what that crazy woman will do” Baton bowed, “Yes my lord, we shall do as you say.” “Remember, Aisha's safety comes first no matter what.” The Duke said before dismissing Baton.

Starting that day, either the Duke, Theor or Baton were at Aisha's side at all times. It had been almost two months since then, She was in the Duke's office which now just seemed like her own room since she spent most of her time there. She was so bored just rolling around all day that now she stared at the reflection of her face on random shiny objects, [I don't think I'll ever get tired of this face... Like Damn, just look at me.] She fawned over herself, [Shining silver hair and clear blue eyes, so unlike the generic black features in my last-] As she thought that her hair changed colours from silver to pitch black and her eyes turned blood red. She gasped in fear not knowing what was happening as she slowly turned to the Duke “Pa-papa.” She called out to him with a shaky voice.