2-In the Lap of the Gods...revised

Wednesday, August 24

"And welcome to The Life Cosmetic, America's fastest-growing podcast devoted to makeup, perfume and all beauty products. This week it's part three of our special series "Face Value", continuing our deep dive into the world of facial hydrating cream. How do they work? Which ones rejuvenate your skin and have the best fragrances?"

Darius wasn't sure about what was the worst part of needing to get a ride to school from his mom on her way to work was: the 5:30 alarm, or her preferred form of in-vehicle "entertainment". Still, he had no choice but to endure the hydrating cream talk, along with the scent of hot coffee and that perfume his mom likes that kind of smells like Dr. Pepper.

"I can't believe summer's over already," he told her, shaking his head. "I sure this is a gonna be a good year after all the—"

"OH COME ON!!"

Wow, did I say something wrong? he thought, snapping back a bit.

"Guy totally swerves into my lane, without his signal on!" griped Salma. "Anyway, what were you saying?"

His mother's road rage had derailed his train of thought. "Never mind."

"Oh, the Canteenwala girls say you can carpool with them to Sunday School. Well, their mom said that, but, you know. They don't live too far from here. North Hollywood."

"I don't even know them," he shook his head.

"Sure, you've seen them before! And this is a good way to meet! You're almost sixteen. It's about time you started meeting Parsi girls!"

"I've met plenty of Parsi girls," he protested. "They just all think I'm ugly and weird."

"Almost everyone your age is ugly and weird. You're not any worse than anyone else."

Salma made the left turn into the LVHS parking lot, but it was almost ghostly at this early hour: a few lonely cars bathed in eerie white light shining from atop poles as the sun hid behind the hills waiting to rise, accompanied by the sound of a leaf rustling here and there, some spare chirps, and perhaps a faint coyote howl, somewhere.

"Good luck," she smiled as he closed the door.

It was big smile, and a warm "good luck", but it left Darius feeling empty, like he always did. Here she is, wanting him to fall in love, while she acts like she's going to break out in a rash if she even displays the most basic forms of affection.

He headed for the empty quad and found a bench. He took his copy of Manga Art for Beginners from his backpack and studied it. As the darkness faded and the voices of his peers began bouncing between the buildings, he put the book away, stared straight ahead, took a breath, and with his voice barely above a whisper, recited these words:

Yatha ahu vairyo
atha ratush ashat chit hacha,
Vangheush dazda manangho
shyaothananam angheush Mazdai
xshathremcha Ahurai a
yim drigubyo dadat vastarem.

This is the Yatha (also called the Ahuna Vairya), one of the most prized prayers of Zoroastrianism, always recited in its original form in the ancient Avestan language. As a short poetic verse in an extinct language, it's hard to translate, but it basically amounts to "We are chosen through truth and righteousness, we honor Ahura Mazda with our good deeds, and we guide one another like a shepherd guides their flock." But the content of the prayer isn't really important. The prayer itself is traditionally viewed as a powerful charm that brings blessings and protection to the one who says it. Darius always said it at the beginning of a school year, or even a quarter. Not so much because he thought it helped him, it's just what he was always taught to say when he started something momentous. His parents always did. They'd say it before they left on vacation, or even when they went shopping for furniture.