Boy

"It's a boy," he says one night, just a few weeks after they found out that they were expecting, and she cannot help the laugh that escapes her. "What's so funny?"

"You," she answers with a fond expression on her face. She feels warm in his embrace, the light coming from the television screen illuminating the dark room. "You were the one who suggested this film, and yet you are thinking of something else."

He hits pause on the remote control and she turns around to face him. His current state is her favorite version of him. Messy hair, soft smile, warm pajamas. He looks like home. "Tell me. Do you think it's a boy or a girl?"

She feels shy as she answers him, echoing the same sentence a character of hers once said, "You know I would love a girl."

A tender look crosses his face as his eyes wander over her features. "And when she comes out looking like you," he sighs. "I am going to be in so much trouble."

She laughs, warmth seeping into her chest, wondering how this has become her life now. This reality seemed impossible years ago.

"I feel the same way about a little boy," she tells him, brushing his hair gently with her fingers. The thought of a little version of him makes her heart skip. "I can just imagine how a mini you could break me in a second. He would probably be spoiled rotten."

He grins. "And what if I dress him up like me?"

"Oh," she gasps, holding her hand up to her chest dramatically. "Stop it."

He chuckles, taking her hand and leaving a kiss on her knuckles. "Want to bet on it?" he proposes. "If it's a girl, you win. If it's a boy, I win."

The challenge intrigues her. "I'm listening."

"If you win," he leans forward to whisper the one thing she has been talking nonstop about over the past couple of months. "Deal?"

She narrows her eyes at him. "And if I lose?"

His eyes actually twinkle. "If I win, we get the Benz stroller."

She laughs, remembering how excited he was when he found out about the exclusive stroller. Weighing the pros and cons, she has to accept. "Fine."

A little ways down the road, he turns back to look at her with a huge smile on his face and the Jeju breeze ruffling his hair. The Benz stroller holding precious cargo stands proudly beside him. The expression on his face tells her that he remembers the bet he won a few months ago.

But as she looks at them, her gorgeous husband and her beautiful son, this wonderful little family she calls hers, she can definitely say that she's the one who won.