Prologue

It's 2122, but I wish I were born a hundred years back.

Yes, people have long suffered from a pandemic a hundred years back, but it was slowly eradicated through public health efforts and evidence-based medicine.

People had cars, flew through planes, and travelled through seas; it was unimaginable how people had this technology back then. People have ready access to information and entertainment through that fantastic thing they call the internet.

But it was also the internet that ruined everything.

Misinformation became rampant, and tons of movements were done against science. Massive propaganda against the scientists came out of nowhere, and people were led to believe that scientists were out to kill us all, which started the witch hunt against scientists.

This massive paranoia wasn't stopped; even the government believed it so. Scientists, if they're lucky, were put in jail. But others suddenly disappeared without a trace and most probably are dead.

Patents and records were burned, and databases were obliterated. Schools were even petitioned to close as "they're corrupting the minds of the younger generation".

However, thankfully, many brave scientists still documented what they experienced and passed down their stories – and their knowledge – secretly. My grandparents' parents were one of them, and it's been like a family tradition to pass down the ability to every offspring.

My parents are optimistic that this underground community has already grown in number because the government has once again instilled fear to the masses and organized a witch hunt against the families of scientists.

The challenge now is to collaborate with the other families of scientists without being outed by the government, which currently imposes torture against people who hold knowledge because they clearly benefit from the ignorance of the masses.

My parents wanted me to coordinate with other families of scientists, but I had other things in mind which is more significant than just coordinating with the other families. I want to change the system, and I think it's time I use the beauty they're praising me for the betterment of humanity.