Chapter 2: The Decision

"Whoever thought I'd allow you to enter the lion's den is delusional," my mom said, fuming while looking at the card that the Speaker left.

"Don't you want us to be looked up to by society by increasing our ranks?" I jokingly answered.

"You know well that we don't need any of that. We want recognition by our wits and our prowess with science, not because we leeched our way to the Royal Family!"

"Hey, I'm just kidding. I know we're getting by with running this bakery, but you know that the King's orders can't be broken. We're risking our lives by doing something illegal; we can't risk a bigger threat."

"We can tell them that you contracted flu or something. You look too much like your aunt; while no one in this town knows the connection, the Capital surely wouldn't miss out on someone who looks so much like the woman who dared use science to save a dying teenager."

My late Aunt Valine was my dad's sister, who they said looked very much like me – a girl with big, brown eyes that shine, tanned skin the color of toffee, jet-black wavy hair flowing until the breasts, and a curvy figure. She was known to be the Capital's beauty, captivating everyone with her features.

Everything was going right for her even though she was living alone in the Capital (she decided to stay away from our family when she finished her lessons because she wanted to find the other scientific families on her own), not until the day when a frail teenager suddenly collapsed in the road. She decided to save his life through cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

She would have had a lower penalty should she have been accused of witchcraft, but a member of a family of scientists – traitors, I may say – told her off and told the administration that my aunt practiced CPR; all for the reward money.

My mom held my hands and said, "Let's think of another way, alright? I can't let you go to the Capital. At least not yet, until you're ready, and we have leads to the other families of scientists; those that remained loyal to science, that is."

I understand why my mom is very protective of me, but how can I execute my plan without taking the risk?