1

When Adonis Cassidy was born, his mother swore the stars bowed in the sky.

It had been a stormy day when Mila Cassidy went into labour, wind and rain banged upon the windows of their open plan living space as if the sky was screaming. Cassidy didn't panic this time, the impending arrival of their second born son was not such a daunting prospect this time round.

Adonis' father swore to protect him, along with his older brother and two younger brothers to come forever. That's a promise he'd keep true to his words for as long as fate allowed.

Nikau Medley had been situated outside the hospital by himself smoking when Mateo Cassidy ran out, throwing up in the nearest bin. Nikau had never discarded a cigarette so quickly in his life, walking up to Mateo in a hurry to calm the now sobbing man's nerves. They'd never met, but both shared the new responsibility of being dads. This was Nikau's first born, so the whole situation much bigger for him. Mateo however had told him this was his second, and everything wasn't going as smoothly as he'd imagined.

Nikau had cried with Mateo, the prospect of this stranger loosing his son before he'd even entered the world making his heart ache. His own son, Aukai, had only been born a few months ago and was at a checkup. The prospect of anything happening to Aukai would certainly kill him.

Nikau went on to spending nearly twelve hours running between home and the hospital, helping out Mateo and Mila- making sure they'd have home cooked food and enough baby supplies for when they were released. After all, the unexpected complications and a three year old to look after meant they didn't have time to do anything else.

Adonis and Mila however pulled through, Mateo bringing Adelaide, their three year old first born, to the hospital a few days later. Nikau had popped in to visit the new parents, his wife Emily bringing Aukai as well to visit Mila as she was kept in hospital for a week after Adonis' birth.

That's the beginning of how Aukai Aster Medley and Adonis Kain Cassidy became inseparable.

Both sets of parents became dear friends, and after finding out they lived only three streets apart both families started to spend more time with each other when possible. Before they knew it, Adonis and Aukai were five years old, acting more like real brothers than best friends, both being raised so closely. Family BBQ's were a bi weekly thing, the Cassidy's and Medley's all mixing and spending quality time together.

Adonis was always glued to Aukai's side, the older of the two always looking out for the younger as if he was his own little brother. On the plus, Adelaide Cassidy also kept an eye out on Aukai and Adonis, the eight year old a doting older brother for both of them.

Their childhoods were pretty mundane. Nikau and Mateo had both made the collective and rash decision to start training to be police officers, securing more than stable jobs for their growing families. Adelaide started getting way too big for Mateo's liking, the boy growing up so fast in the blink of an eye. Adonis and Aukai were soon in school, trying out for rugby and learning about the New Zealand way of life.

Adonis and Aukai were both eight when their baby brother and sister respectively entered the world. Jamie Cassidy and Eden Medley, new hope for them both but also heartbreak to come.

Twelve months after Jamie was born, he passed away suddenly.

It had taken its toll on Adonis. Loosing Jamie, the little brother who should have grown up and he should have protected, it shattered that nine year old boy's life. It shattered all their lives, even Aukai and his family had mourned the smiley, bright eyed boy.

But Jamie's death bought new hope to the Cassidy's, to the Medley's.

It was summer, twelve months after Jamie's funeral when the annual Australian Dragon Rider Association parade hit Auckland New Zealand. Adonis and Aukai were nine, Adelaide was twelve and Eden was one year old and good as gold.

Sydney usually hosted all the bigger events and the monthly and bi weekly shows, but being it's sister island it couldn't be ignored. Mateo had insisted to take his sons, Nikau had also begged Emily to let him take the kids along too. Both wives couldn't refuse of course, Nikau and Mateo like children as they bundled everyone in the one car and drove into the capital. As police officers they were originally meant to be working, but with younger children and after Jamie, their boss had been incredibly generous to the families, letting them spend more days off all together.

The city was rammed, completely and utterly swamped with bodies so much so that both dads considered turning round the second the car was parked. Aukai and Adonis would surely thank them one day for never making that decision, as that day at the DRA parade both boys saw what they wanted to achieve in their lives.

As through the crowds of people lining the streets, there they were- the DRA Australia.

Sydney's DRA base was home to the most dragon riders and groups, but others from Melbourne and Perth had also made the trip- the outcome had been unimaginable.

People screamed and cheered as DRA lorries paraded down the roads, colors exploding from each one as they spotted different themes and held different dragon riders and groups upon them. Soldiers sporting the navy uniform marched in front, behind them a sea of men and women in bright costumes of purples, blues and greens. Adonis and Aukai were too young to remember exact names and faces, but the dragons they sported stuck in their minds the most.

Dragons were the main attraction here, they were the colors of Jacaranda trees, a beautiful lush purple that seemed to captivate everyone watching them. Others matched Australia's Outback, perfect for missions in the sun with their sandy red scales. But Aukai and Adonis wouldn't forget the ones that flew overhead the most- the ones owned by their home country. New Zealand's dragons had always been sacred, and as the cerulean and teal creatures flew overhead like ocean waves, the boys all shouted in glee at the beasts.

"Dad! Dad!" Adonis would always remember his and Aukai's cries through the mass screams of excitement, the atmosphere absolutely buzzing. Both younger boys had been on their parent's shoulders, with Adelaide glued to his dad's side and Eden in her dad's arms.

"What's the matter boys?" Mateo would always remember the glee on their face, the smiles that would destroy the world.

"I WANNA BE A DRAGON RIDER!"

.
.
.
.
chapter 1, end.
please feel free to comment, vote & share <3