Going Home

Sausalito, California
Tuesday, May 23, 1976
********************

"You know she didn't write that about John."

Stevie was two steps behind Lindsey on the staircase leading up to the second-story apartment she'd been calling home since February. Mick and Ken and Richard had given both women shit about not living in the recording house with the guys when they'd gone up north to Sausalito to record the new album, but she and Christine wouldn't have any of it. Living with Lindsey again after the horror show that they'd escaped not even two years ago - the little apartment with Richard in their business and no room to roam after an argument - was not what she'd been working so hard for. As for Christine, her affair with Curry was enough to keep her out of any house where John was staying. But there was Lindsey, climbing the stairs right in front of her, trying to be mindful of the late hour and not make noise, even to jingle her keys, which he held in his hand. She almost hasn't invited him over. She'd almost told him she was going out tonight, let him worry about with whom.

But Christine had written that song.

But that wasn't the song they were talking about; they were talking about "You Make Loving Fun", the upbeat popish love song Christine had written about Curry Grant, their lighting director, with whom she'd been cheating on John for months as John had fallen deeper and deeper in love with Jack Daniels and Johnny Walker. Everyone in the studio liked it and Christine had moved on...apparently to a song she'd played for everyone today to smiles and singalongs and rousing applause. She called it "Don't Stop" and it was almost sickeningly cheerful, and friendly letter of sorts to John to let him know they'd get through this and they'd come out the other side. It had been a hit with everyone there today, Stevie included, and once everyone knew the lyrics they'd all cajoled Christine to play it again so they could sing, a little cheerful entertainment to combat the rainy afternoon and the bickering that had been going on all morning - mainly between Stevie and Lindsey.

Stevie had "Don't Stop" to thank for her view right now, a view of Lindsey in jeans and a burgundy velour sweater, climbing the stairs to her apartment after he'd held her from behind as they stood at the piano beside Christine and sang about how tomorrow would "be here better than before" and how yesterday was gone. He'd whispered in her ear as they sang that he would drive her home when they were done at the studio, and Stevie was in too good a mood to deny him.

"Oh I think everyone knows she didn't write it about John," Stevie said with a giggle as they reached the landing outside her front door. They both caught a case of the giggles then, and took turns ssh-ing each other as Lindsey unlocked the front door in the dark. Stevie had a sudden flash of the nights they'd spent at Lindsey's parents' home while he was recovering from mono before the big move to L.A., how they used to sneak into the kitchen in the middle of the night for drinks and snacks, giggling like kids at a sleepover and holding fingers over each other's lips as the international sign of "quiet." That Lindsey had been missing for a long time...and she was starting to think maybe that Stevie was too. But they had returned, those two giggling kids. Maybe it's being here up north, she thought. Whatever the reason, she wasn't going to jinx it. She needed him to spend the night; she couldn't sleep without him.

Ginny appeared in the doorway, the little white poodle who ran to her mom and was scooped up and covered with kisses while Lindsey stood awkwardly in the doorway.

"Mommy loves baby," Stevie was saying in the voice she reserved for pets and babies. "Mommy was out for a long, long time, but now Mommy's going to feed baby." She began busying herself with water bowls and food bowls and wee wee pads in the kitchen.

"Hey Stevie?" Lindsey's voice appeared from the foyer. "If you're busy I can take off..." Stevie's head appeared just in time to see him gesture backwards with his thumb to illustrate his point.