Bewitched, Bothered, & Bewildered

Author's Note: I can't help myself. This is just a wee drabble showcasing some of the various holiday traditions and cultural festivities that are celebrated by the various crew members on the Enterprise.

This chapter includes spoilers for The Complication series. Proceed at your own risk.

As with my other companion pieces that offer a glimpse of things to come, Shinebug's details are left a bit vague so as not to give away too much. 

Thank you for your ongoing support of this series!

-X-

Ever since coming aboard the Enterprise, Data had found the posting offered a much richer understanding of the human experience.

It was the largest ship he had ever served on.

And with all of the people, children, and various cultures represented – Data had been able to partake in everything from traditional humanoid customs like birthday parties and weddings to new cultural traditions including the Klingon Rite of Ascension and the Bajoran Gratitude Festival.

Data's personal development had accelerated ever since coming aboard. That rapid advancement was due, in part, to his relationship with Tasha.

She was always ready to answer his questions and was infinitely patient when it came to Data exploring that part of himself.

And he had one other special lady in his life that he was grateful for. Since the birth of his daughter, Data had been able to see the human experience in an entirely new way.

As she grew and learned about the world around her, Data was discovering more and more each day. She was fascinated by the strangest things. Neither Data nor Tasha had ever truly experienced a childhood – at least not one with any normal semblance of the word.

It meant they were keen to offer their girl every possible opportunity to explore, play, and try new things.

As of late, the Enterprise calendar had been packed with a variety of different festivals, holidays, and celebrations as various cultures celebrated a mix of year-end, harvest, and historical festivities.

The night before, Data and Tasha had brought their daughter to the Bajoran festival of Aar Li Boryhas at Ten Forward. She had enjoyed the festival of lights and Data and Tasha had lit their own candles too – one for the late Doctor Soong and another for Tasha's family.

Though they knew so little about their own ancestors, they both felt it was important to make new traditions. Data was still coming to terms regarding his relationship (or lack thereof) with Doctor Soong.

While Data resolved it would take a lifetime to process, he surmised he did owe Soong for one thing. Without Soong, there would be no Shinebug.

In spite of all the tears, sleepless nights, and her proclivity to put anything and everything forbidden in her mouth, she was worth it.

Data thought she was the loveliest thing he had ever created - even if she had sprayed his face with snot following a powerful sneeze while he was slipping on her socks.

Shinebug had tried her first Jumja stick. The way her eyes lit up before attacking the newfound treat was a moment Data had denoted to memory. She'd loved the ceremonial drumming – pounding along as the Bajoran drumline dazzled the crowd.

In fact, over the last few weeks, Shinebug had experienced her first Chinese Mooncake Festival, the Ghanaian Festival of Yams, Oktoberfest, Diwali, and Lohlunat – the Risian Festival of Moons.