2

1854
                    A few years later

"Why, won't, she, DIE ALREADY?!" I yelled as I saw Emily's report. It's been ten years since she arrived at this lab, yet for some reason no matter how strong of a dose we give her she never dies. It's like she's immune to toxins, which is impossible because she's been here most of her life so she never had a chance to build up an immunity to them. I then checked my schedule and saw that I had her in one hour, 'Well isn't this my luck?' I thought with a grim face. I continued to work on my paperwork until I heard an alarm, I looked at my tracker and saw that it had been removed. 'Damn it,' I thought, and I know who is smart enough to know where it is. Emily.

I quickly grabbed my spare needle that was in my drawer and ran out the door. I went straight to the entrance of the building knowing she'll run straight here like she usually does. I see her running toward me not even a second later, for some reason she always has her eyes shut. I opened my arms yet again preparing for impact and just like her first attempt, she ran straight into me. I grabbed her by the shoulders and made her look at me, unlike her first time, she looked more scared when she saw me. I swiftly carried her bridal style, which she didn't like due to her struggling very much, and started walking toward her room. "Emily, this is the tenth time this month, why do you always try to run when there is nothing out there for you?" I questioned, if you listened closely you would have noticed the little bit of annoyance that laced my voice. "It's because 'Doctor' no one here cares about us, not you, not the guards, not the doctors. No one." she said while glaring at me that I was used to it. I then continued to her room in awkward silence, neither of us looking at the other. Once we arrived I placed her back on the floor, still grabbing her arm just in case she tries to make another escape.

    The guards finally opened the door and we both walked in. I didn't let go of her until the guards closed the door, she practically jumped on her bed and went under her blanket. 'Well, it's not a blanket, moreover like a paper-thin towel' I thought to myself, a grin slowly creeping on my face. I then realized I was grinning so I hid it faster than it appeared. I looked at her with a face full of pity and sat at the edge of her bed, watching her silhouette tense. I decided to try and calm her down a bit by putting a hand on her back and just gently rubbing it. She calmed down a bit but still was seemingly tense. 'I feel terrible about making her stressed... wait for what? No, no, no, I don't feel bad for her, I just feel stressed about her trying to escape... yeah that's it,' I thought, mentally gagging at the thought of feeling bad for her. "Hey sweetheart, it's okay, I care about you. I know you don't think that but I do," I said, rolling my eyes inside. "You don't have to put up a facade around me, I know you are just saying this to make me feel safe around you, open up, and let you kill me..." I tensed as I realized she knew, yet she continued "... I just want to go back to my family, I don't even know what they look like," she said.