The Black Queen (3)

Rhaenyra sat at the head of the table while Lords squabbled and strategized. Rhaella stood at the other end with Lucerys and Jacaerys. The twins and triplets were sleeping so she was able to make it to the council meeting.

Ser Erryk's voice drew their attention, "The Lord of the Tides! Lord Corlys Velaryon... and his wife, the Princess Rhaenys Targaryen."

Rhaenys, Corlys, Baela and Rhaena walked down the stairs together, the girls behind their grandparents. Baela coming to Jacaerys' side and Rhaena standing beside Rhaella and Lucerys.

"My Lords."

"Lord Corlys. It brings much relief to see you hale and healthy again," Rhaenyra told him, truthfully.

He nodded at her in thanks, "I'm very sorry about your father, Princess," he also looked briefly at Rhaella when he said this and she gave him a nod, "He was a good man." He looked around noticing Daemon was not with them, "Where is Daemon?"

"There were other concerns which demanded the Prince's attention," Rhaenyra replied.

"Mm." He walked to the right side of the table, "Your declared allies?"

Rhaenyra walked closer to the head of the table, "Yes."

"To few to win a war for the throne."

"Well, we would also hope to have the support of Houses Arryn, Baratheon and Stark," Rhaenyra informed the Sea Snake.

"Hope... is the fool's ally."

"Both Arryn and Baratheon share blood with my house. But all of them swore oaths to me."

"As did House Hightower... if I remember," Lord Corlys reminded her. Rhaella sighed at this, her grandfather's house did swear to Rhaenyra, but they betrayed her all the same. Oaths of old would not win this war for her, Rhaella knew this to be true.

"As did you, Lord Corlys."

Silence enveloped the room as the Seasnake looked at everyone around the table as well as his wife behind Rhaenyra, "Your father's realm... was one of justice and honor. Our houses are bound by common blood and common cause. This Hightower treason cannot stand. You have the full support of our fleet and house. Your Grace." He bowed his head to her.

"You honor me, Lord Corlys," she followed his eyes and turned her head to Princess Rhaenys, who wore a slight smile, "Princess Rhaenys." She turned her head back to the front, she shared a look with her half-sister who gave a small smile, "But, as I said to my bannermen, I made a promise to my father to hold the realm strong and united. If war's first stroke is to fall, it will not be by my hand."

Rhaella looked down and sighed as Lord Corlys questioned her sister, "You do not mean to act?"

"Taking caution does not mean standing fast," Rhaella looked up at this, "I wish to know who my allies are before I send them to war."

Lord Corlys took a few steps forward, "The consequence of my... near-demise in the Stepstones... is that we now control them." He informed everyone in the room, "I took care to fully garrison the territory this time. A total blockade of the shipping lanes will be in place in days, if not already. The Triarchy have been routed. The Narrow Sea is ours."