chapter4

part04

Irene's return home for her winter break is something that Jennie has been dreading since Thanksgiving. Her sister had thankfully gone to visit her boyfriend's family for that particular holiday, but Jennie isn't so lucky this time around.

Since Irene's arrival three weeks ago, Jennie has been constantly on edge—waiting for the next snide comment—and constantly feeling like she doesn't belong. Her father is so happy to have Irene home—so proud of her. Their parents ask about everything and anything having to do with her first semester at college—classes, friends, her boyfriend. Things that they have never cared to ask Jennie. 

She can't wait until Irene goes back, which, unfortunately, won't be for another week. 

Jennie arrives home from school, shivering from the bitter cold outside. She hangs up her coat in the front closet and lets out a sigh as she looks down at her blouse. It's stained from a slushy attack at the hands of Goo Junhoe, and she prays that she can get the coloring out. She has taken to keeping a spare set of clothes in her locker for when this happens, but she forgot to bring in another set after the last slushy attack. On the bright side, Chaeyoung was there to help her clean up.

She walks through the kitchen, where her sister is reading the latest issue of Cosmopolitan  at the table, and curses her bad luck. Of all the rooms in this house, why does she have to be in this one? Like a shark smelling blood in the water, Irene smirks and follows Jennie into the laundry room. "ginger looks good on you." 

Jennie feels her anger spike but tries to ignore Irene as she takes off her blouse and applies the stain remover. 

"I guess my friends were right—you really are at the bottom of the totem pole. Mom and Dad must be so proud," Irene continues, a wicked glint in her eye as she steps into Jennie's space, cornering her. "You know, they always told me that I could never tell anyone about what a freak you are, but I don't see why I should hold back anymore."

Her mouth goes dry as a feeling of genuine fear settles over her. "You wouldn't." 

"You're already at the bottom with the rest of those mouth breathers. I've heard what they call you, you know," she says. "I can't believe I hadn't thought of it myself." Brown eyes reminiscent of their father's look down at Jennie's hands as she delivers the final blow. "man hands" 

Something inside Jennie snaps at hearing that word, anger and hurt and fear crashing together as she lunges forward and tackles Irene to the ground. "Why do you have to be so awful all the time?" she grits out angrily, her voice breaking as she tries not to cry.

Irene doesn't answer. Instead she grips Jennie's upper arms and tries to roll them over. Jennie shoves her back down into the floor and shakes her. "Answer me!" she yells, her hands colliding with Irene's face and torso—anywhere she can connect—even though her sister blocks most of the blows. She's just so angry and hurt and sick and tired of always being treated like this.

"JENNIE!" their mother shouts, and Jennie can feel her hand grabbing at her shoulder. "Get off of your sister!"

Anger is still thrumming in her veins, but she somehow manages to let go of Irene. She staggers to her feet and glares down at her sister, who meets her gaze with a matching expression.

"Go up to your room, Jennie," her mother says then, drawing her attention away from Irene. "I don't want to see you again for the rest of the night."

Jennie's face falls as she feels the brunt of her mother's rejection. "But she-" she tries to defend herself before getting cut off.

"I don't want to hear it. Go upstairs."