never been any reason

After a little bit, the rest of the girls ventured back inside. Donna would've followed them, but she didn't know if she could stand talking to Jodi at that moment.

Pink walked up to Donna almost reluctantly. She was acutely aware of the fact that Wooderson's arm was still slung around her shoulder and felt a twinge of embarrassment. She had no idea what she was doing. As she looked at Pink, his face was missing its usual shit-eating grin.

She immediately shrugged Wooderson's arm off her shoulder and stepped towards Pink to meet him halfway.

"Donna-" he started but trailed off, at a loss for words.

The drinks Donna had taken from the flask were hitting her now, and she let down her guard easily. "What's wrong?" Against her better judgment, she leaned into the boy. A thought flashed through her mind that she was no better than Jodi, but she pushed that away.

"Simone...I don't know what to do about her. I feel like an asshole, man."

Donna sighed. "You're going to be even more of an asshole if you don't just tell her the truth. Now. She deserves that." She did feel bad for the girl, but the thought of things ending between the two made her feel shamefully giddy. The past hour had been too much of an emotional rollercoaster for her to handle.

"Donna, I need to-"

Pink was cut off by shouting, as Donny loudly returned. He and O'Bannion took turns yelling at Slater before the others left and Donny walked up to greet Wooderson. Donna awkwardly stood between the four men, feeling drowned in testosterone. She half-listened to what Woody was saying about his job, but she was more focused on her current problem: the boy standing next to her. A girl she vaguely recognized from school walked by, and Donna caught all the boys' heads turn, their gazes lingering on the girl. She huffed in disappointment, tired of how it seemed like almost every boy she knew was so quick to objectify women.

"Y'all are pathetic," she mumbled as she pushed herself off the wall and walked back inside. Donna was high, drunk, angry and confused. She couldn't seem to sort her head out, and she hated that it was happening tonight. She was supposed to be celebrating her senior year, celebrating summer. It just meant she was one step closer to being done with high school.

Once she was inside, Donna found herself by the pool table where Melvin was playing. He offered her his last beer, and she graciously took it. She sat up on one of the bar stools at the edge of the room, by herself. It didn't take long for Pink to show up in front of her. Though she would be reluctant to admit it, her mind cleared up a little at the sight of him.

Pink hopped up on the stool next to her and sighed as he turned to her. "I'm sorry, Donna."

For some reason, Donna was caught off guard by this. "For what?"

"Those guys. I'm sorry they're like that."

Donna chuckled cynically. "I'm used to it. It's fucking Wooderson, what else would I expect?"

Pink rolled his eyes and nodded his head. "Yeah, true." He paused, obviously waiting to say something else. "And...I don't want you to think that I'm trying to get with every girl in the school, or anything like that."

"Hey, no shame," Donna said, though she did not mean it. "If you asked your girlfriend, she'd tell you I've already been with every guy at this school," she said sarcastically.

The boy winced at this. "Damn, sorry about that. And don't worry, I know it's not true. You've never been with me."

Donna knew he was just trying to lighten the mood, but she couldn't stop her heart from jumping at the suggestion. "Don't worry," she said. "We still have time for that."

Pink smiled widely at the girl but turned his head when Kevin came up calling his name. "You comin', Pink?" the boy asked.

He turned back to Donna and said, "I'll see you in a minute, Don," and squeezed her leg before he walked away.

Donna sat in the stool smiling to herself. Everything was going to be alright.