3: Better Brother Project

As soon as I carefully and cautiously opened the door to Daring's room, I was blasted with the unmistakable smell I can't identify as anything other than sweaty teenage boy. (If you don't know what that smells like, hex, you're lucky)

First off, it wasn't all too messy- that is, if you don't count the dirty clothes, wrappers from who-knows-what and sports equipment all over the floor. The bed was unmade and a knocked over stack of hextbooks and random papers littered the area near the desk.

"Oh, Daring, how nice of you to leave such little mess this time around for me," I said out loud.

I began making the bed first because I can't stand when people don't make their beds before leaving their room in the morning. It's a pet peeve. It's one of those mindless things that's part of my daily routine in the morning. I laid out the navy blue comforter and then propped up the pillows.

Then I went out to the hall closet and used my entire weight to drag and push the laundry basket into his room. It was already full. How does he have enough clothes to wear? This has to be at least three weeks' worth of laundry. I used the back end of a lacrosse stick I found under the first piece of clothing to pluck up the others. When I checked under the bed for any more clothes, I noticed something shiny within the mess of even more sports equipment. Godmother, how much sports equipment can one kid have? Well I guess if you're a prince, as much as you want. Yet, your little sister can't even have one diamond sword with her name on it, of course, that goes to the prince also. After all, there's only one letter difference in our names!!! Bleh.

Speaking of diamond sword... Was that?

I reached into the mess and pulled out a sword in a silver case. My sword. The one that'd been taken from me just yesterday. There was a note attached.

Darling,
I'm sorry I didn't stand up for you. I'm an awful brother and I don't know how to fix it. But I'm going to try. Here's your sword, I have no use for it anyway. Seriously, what do mom and dad think I'm to do with a blue diamond sword with your name on it? I wouldn't be caught dead with it. I'm just kidding. I know it means a lot to you and I would have guarded it with my life, but it's yours. It's made for you. You're the only one who should have it.
It's different without you here at EAH. I'll have to talk to dad about getting you to come here. I really want to be a better brother. At least let me try?
See you soon,
Daring
P.S.- I purposely left my room messy so you'd have to clean it and would find this.

Hahaha, that last part. "Hmm," I said, smirking. "Charming."

It was kind of hard to believe Daring was that nice. Sure, the sword had my name on it, but it was still made of diamond, stronger than anything he had lying around. Also, since when did he care about what things mean to me? It was sweet that he did though. I hoped he would keep his word about the EAH part. Daring's suggestion would seal the deal.

****

My mother allowed for a brief break after I'd cleaned out Daring's room (and somehow snuck my sword back into my room without anyone seeing), so I skipped to the kitchen to get a snack. Cleaning the boys' rooms was a lot of work.

A delicious aroma wafted through the air in the hall by the kitchen, which I soon discovered came from a plate of steaming, gooey chocolate chip cookies, my favorite. I was just about to settle into a stool and take a big bite of one when my mother knocked on the doorframe, causing me to jump a little.

"Darling, I have some news to share with you," my mother said excitedly. I winced slightly- her definition of good news and my definition are two very different things.

I nodded, finally able to take a bite of one of those cookies before they got cold.

"Your father and I have some business to discuss with some other kingdoms tonight. I've asked that the kings and Queens bring their daughters along, so you can meet some of them. I know you haven't had the chance to make many friends other than Rosabella. She will be here too to keep you company. Queen Belle thinks this will be a great opportunity for the both of you, since Rosabella is so shy and you're..." My mother trailed off, knowing I knew what she meant. I'm not very princess-y.

"Sounds fun," I decided this was a good thing. I needed to make more friends, and this was a good chance to ask the EAH students what it was like there. Surely Apple White would be there, and Briar Beauty too.

"You're excused from the rest of your lessons today. We'll finish today's unfinished work tomorrow. I want you to wash up and be presentable for later. Rosabella and her family are coming over for dinner, and they should be here in about an hour," my mom exclaimed. I was so relieved to be done with my chores.

See, I've met most of the princesses coming before, but I'd never really spoken to them much. Especially Apple and her friends. I always felt awkward around them, almost like my unusualness would make me appear more like a peasant than a princess in their eyes.

Also, I couldn't wait for Bella to get here so we could scheme about EAH and plan everything.

{HEY! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS STORY! I have high hopes for it and the fact that it's the first Darling Charming fanfiction on here. PLEASE COMMENT SPECIFIC THINGS YOU LIKED! Ilysm}