Chapter 6: an argument and some photographs

CHAPTER 6

Ester's POV

"What's up? We gonna talk now or what?" I asked as I came into the classroom later that night and began pouring my stuff out onto Snape's desk as usual.

He shook his head. "It was nothing."

I sighed and pulled up a seat next to him, turning on the music on my iPod as I did so. I had a feeling he wouldn't want to talk about it. "Do you want to play the asking game again?"

"I'm not in the mood." He drawled, keeping his eyes glued to the wall in front of us.

I rolled my eyes. "But you never are. So what's going on? Why won't you talk to me? I can help you know."

"No," Snape said, his brow furrowing. "You can't."

"Sev, I--"

"Don't call me that," He suddenly shouted, cutting me off. "You insolent girl!"

I jumped slightly by his sudden outburst.

"What the hell is your problem today?" I demanded angrily.

His face contorted with rage. "You. You're my problem, Kingsley. Every time you try to help me or- or act the way you do towards me, I hate it! I don't need your pity or your kindness. I'm fine by myself, you stupid brat!"

"I don't pity you!" I screamed. "I just wanted to help. But I guess your pride is blinding you."

Before Snape could hurt me again, I stormed out, trying hard to swallow the lump forming in my throat. What a jackass, I thought to myself.

All I wanted to do was help him. Earlier today when we were in the hall he looked like he was in such pain. We were friends and I was hoping he would trust me enough to talk about whatever was bugging him. I guess I was wrong. Snape didn't want anything to do with me. He probably only hung out with me because he had nothing better to do.

"Ester, wait." I heard Snape calling for me after a few minutes of walking.

I swiftly turned on him, my hair turning fire red streaked with blue. "What? What could you possibly want now? Are you here to call me more names? Because if that's what you're here to do, just save your breath. I don't care."

"No, I'm not. I just wanted to--"

"Shut up, Snape!" I shouted again, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes. I quickly wiped them away before he could see how hurt I was. "Shut up! I don't want to hear your god damned excuses."

He frowned, guilt flashing in his eyes. "Ester, I didn't mean it. Please, forgive me."

"You know what, Snape?" I asked, my voice shaking slightly with rage. "Until you want to let me help you and get your shit together, you can forget about us hanging out together. Now goodnight."

With that, I turned on my heel to leave. I didn't get very far before I felt Snape's firm grip on my arm. "Then who else are you going to spend time with?" He demanded. "Krum doesn't understand you. That dunderhead, Longbottom doesn't get you. No one does except me!"

Without even turning to look at him, I spoke. "At least Victor actually cares about me."

He rolled his eyes in disgust. "He doesn't care about you at all! I've seen the look in his eyes. All he wants is to get in your pants."

That was the last straw. I lost my temper and the next thing I knew, I slapped him. A big red mark the size of my hand was quickly forming on his cheek. He hardly flinched at me striking him. "Don't you ever talk about my friend that way. That's sick and he would never try to do that. Victor is one of the nicest people i've ever met so don't you dare say a word against him when you don't even have the common decency to get to know him first!"