Chapter 1: Escape Isn't As Possible As One Might Hope

Nickolas Parkingsons  

Space. Please, I just need some space! I yell in my head, my eyes closed tightly. The sound of shuffling feet did not fill my ears, so I knew my prayer hadn't been answered. They still stood right outside my door, silence engulfing the air. They know how to be soundless and motionless; sometimes I even forget they're people.  I sigh and run my fingers through my oily hair, inducing another sigh. I needed a shower before bed, but getting out of my comfortable body-thrown-on-bed placement would be difficult. Groaning, I push myself up by my elbows and slide myself off the end of my bed, landing lightly on my socked feet. 

Stripping as I went, I dropped piece by piece on the floor leaving a trail of suit pieces to my on-suite bathroom, not caring it seemed like a girl-ish thing to do. I step into my bathroom with just my boxers on, chuckling at the mess I just left, already envisioning the fit Carleton will have when he sees it.

I turn the shower to moderately hot, I step out of my boxers and into the shower, and scrub my hair to get the oil out, and hear my phone ding over the rush of the water in the other room, and I roll my eyes. Probably just another update from Sheridan about my schedule for tomorrow. So many things to do and such little time. Thank god I'll be headed back to school soon.

Kaitlyn Jarred

"Babe, let's just loose these guys," Chris whispers and gestures slightly to the men behind me. I roll my eyes, this again? When is he going to understand they never "lose" me?

"Sure, whatever you say," I play along; knowing the guards behind heard every word and will play along as well. Chris grabs my hand and we take off running, dodging this way and that, and finally ducking into a coffee shop slash thrift store.

Chris smiles and chuckles, "I think we lost them." I nod and we head up to the counter to buy coffee. Out of the corner of my eye I see the flash of a suit, and I know they're still here, following silently and undetected like normal. Chris is too happy, and I'm good at pretending, so why make him upset? Chris drags me over to the thrift shop side of the store and begins throwing vintage accessories at me for the both of us to try on. We are laughing and taking stupid selfies when my phone begins to ring.

Dad.

"No Kat, don't let him ruin our fun," Chris whines and begins to pout.

"I'm sorry, love, you know how he is," I answer sadly before sliding the phone up to my ear. "Hey, Dad."

"Kaitlyn Meredith Jarred, do you know what time it is?" My father sternly asks me, and I nod before realizing he isn't standing in front of me.

"Yes, I'm forty-two minutes past my curfew," I check the time on my watch and I hear my dad sigh on the other end.

"It's sad you know exactly how far over your curfew you are, yet you aren't home. Are your bodyguards with you?"

"Yes, Dad," I answer shortly with a glance at Chris, hoping he only heard the answer, and not the question.

"Good. I plan to see you home in fifteen, Kaitlyn," he ends the call. I pull the phone away from my ear and turn sad eyes to Chris, and he reads my mind.

"I know, sweetheart," he puts his forehead against mine and closes his eyes. I keep mine open and pull away slowly. "I'll see you Saturday?"

I nod, and Lucas and Cabet emerge from "hiding" and began to lead me away. I turn and wave as Chris points at his phone, a signal meaning we would text later tonight, and I nod in return.

"In you go, Ms. Jarred," Lucas says and I step into the backseat of the black SUV and Lucas closes the door behind me and I fix my skirt beneath my legs. Lucas and Cabet get into the front seats and we start heading off to my home.

Fifteen minutes exactly and we are pulling up to the curb of the chateau-styled house, what I call home. That's what happens when your father is a Senate member, and your mother is a famous singer. I wait for Cabet to open the door and I slide out, thanking him and he nods in return. 

I hear my phone vibrate in my purse, but I don't bother to check it. Since it's exactly 9 o' clock, I know it is Destiny sending me my schedule for tomorrow. Monday: back to being the Senator's daughter. And I'm so excited to be heading back to school in a few weeks. Means I can stop being perfect and start having some space to be a senior.