Chapter 22: You Beat Me To It

Kaitlyn Jarred

I snap my alarm off after one beep, easily waking. I patter to the bathroom, take a quick, cold shower, and dress in exercise clothing. I throw on an oversized sweater and grab my phone. I muffle a cough as I check the hallway. The bodyguards at the end of the hallway are alert, so I sneak my head back into my room without being seen.

We're here.

The message sparks me into action. Sliding my phone into the outer pocket of my leggings, I push open my window. The sky is just beginning to lighten as I allow myself to feel the cool breeze, thinking how this might be my last day alive. I take a deep breath and lower myself to hang from the gutter. My arms tremble from the weight of my body as I swing. I throw my body and catch myself on another ledge, further down the wall. I breathe faster, in both fear and adrenaline. I repeat the process, landing again further down the wall. I take one more breath and slide down the rest of the wall, catching my sweater on a shingle and ripping it. I land behind a line of bushes as a guard sweeps a flashlight over where I'm hiding. I clap a hand over my mouth, only releasing it after the light drifts away. I stand and scamper across the lawn, keeping my body low to the ground. I reach the fence and duck behind the bushes once again. I stay in the bushes until I reach the gate, narrowing my eyes at the guards and clutching a stone in my hand. Throwing it into the bushes on the other side of the gate, I wait until the guards have rushed over to slip between the bars and hurry down to the road. I continue running until I reach a small car parked a block away.

I slide into the passenger seat, clicking my seatbelt into place. "Thanks for being with me," I say, smiling at my two friends. "Even though I hadn't wanted you to come."

"We're in this together," Oscar says, pulling away from the curb and setting our course to Dulles Airport.

"We wouldn't let you do it alone," Valerie mumbles from the backseat. I reach back and reach for her hand, squeezing it when she places it in mine.

"I know," I smile slightly at her, Valerie returning a small one of her own. Oscar slides easily into the freeway—it, surprisingly, is almost barren.

"The government put out a statement," Oscar says, side-eying me while looking at the road. "General Wynn wasn't able to find them, and the President chose not to pay them. Everyone was told to stay in their homes."

"I still can't believe you guys were able to sneak out," I shake my head in disbelief.

"It's more surprising you did," Valerie raises an eyebrow. "Your parents were rather upset yesterday."

I shrug, "It kind of surprised me too."

We're silent for a while, the only sound is the tires spinning against the pavement. As the Dulles Airport signs begin to show up, Oscar clears his throat.

"So, what's the plan?" His voice cracks slightly, showing his fear. I swallow silently, pondering my response.

"I'm going to try to get Crystal to stop from releasing the disease."

"But how?" Valerie leans forward to stick her head between the seats. I purse my lips, and Valerie makes a face, "You have no idea how, do you?"

"I have an idea," I wince as I answer. Oscar exits the freeway and I take slow, deep breaths. Oscar drives right on to the tarmac, as we scan the area for where Nexis is hiding.

Valerie is the one to stop them, inside a hangar. Oscar pulls to a stop behind another hangar, adjacent to Nexis' hiding place.

"Now," I turn in my seat to make eye-contact with my friends. "Go notify General Wynn and the President. Hopefully, I will be able to talk Crystal down and by the time they get here, everyone will be safe."