28. TRIAL

CAUIS'S HAND TREMBLED WITH A FIERY RAGE THAT threatened to erupt like a volcano. His eyes narrowed into slits as he glared at Irina, his lips pursed tightly together. "What do you mean?" he hissed through gritted teeth, his voice laced with a cold, steely edge.

Irina hesitated for a moment, her eyes darting nervously around the room. "She's not the same," she began cautiously, "but I think it's the same child. What I mean is, she's changed. This child is bigger than the one I saw, but--"

Caius's fury boiled over, his breath coming in short, sharp gasps. His hand shot out as if to strike Irina, but Aro intervened, flitting to Caius's side and placing a calming hand on his shoulder.

"Be composed, brother. We have time to sort this out. No need to be hasty."

With a sullen expression, Caius turned his back on Irina.

"Now, sweetling," Aro said in a warm, sugary murmur. "Show me what you're trying to say." He held his hand out to her.

Uncertainly, Irina took his hand. He held hers for only five seconds. "You see, Caius?" he said. "It's a simple matter to get what we need."

Caius didn't answer him. From the corner of his eye, Aro glanced once at his audience, his mob, and then turned back to Carlisle.

"And so we have a mystery on our hands, it seems. It would appear the child has grown. Yet Irina's first memory was that of an immortal child. Curious."

"That's exactly what I'm trying to explain," Carlisle said, and from the change in his voice, I could guess at his relief. This was the pause we had pinned all our nebulous hopes on.

Carlisle held out his hand again.

Aro hesitated for a moment. "I would rather have the explanation from someone more central to the story, my friend. Am I wrong to assume that this breach was not of your making?"

"There was no breach."

"Be that as it may, I will have every facet of the truth." Aro's feathery voice hardened. "And the best way to get that is to have the evidence directly from your talented son." He inclined his head in Edward's direction. "As the child clings to his newborn mate, I'm assuming Edward is involved."

Edward turned to his beloved Bella and their daughter Renesmee, planting a tender kiss on their foreheads. He couldn't bring himself to meet their eyes, knowing the danger that lay ahead. With a determined stride, he made his way across the snowy field, giving Carlisle a reassuring pat on the shoulder as he passed.

The tension in the air was palpable, and I could feel Esme's fear radiating off of her. The Volturi army loomed in the distance, their red haze burning brighter than ever before. As Edward walked alone towards their adversaries, I couldn't help but worry for Renesmee and the challenges she would face in the coming moments.

Jane, one of the Volturi's most powerful members, smiled as Edward approached. Bella's fury peaked, and she readied herself for battle. With all the force in her mind, she threw her shield across the field like a javelin, her breath rushing out in a huff with the exertion.

As Edward stood a few steps away from Aro, his chin held high in arrogance, the tension in the air was palpable. Caius scowled deeply, and Jane bared her teeth, while Alec's eyes narrowed in concentration. Aro closed the distance between them without hesitation, knowing that his army had the upper hand.

But little did they know, Bella possessed a power that could stop them in their tracks. With frustration boiling inside her, she watched as Aro took Edward's hand, his eyes snapping shut as he absorbed all of Edward's thoughts and feelings.