Chapter 0: Hotel Security Division Meeting

Deep within the Hotel, the security division is holding a periodic meeting. The room that it's being held in is quite barebones. It's rectangular in shape, much longer than it is wide. The only piece of furniture in there is a long table spanning nearly the entirety of the room. The only thing on it is an ancient projector, churning out film tape at a crawl. The image displays on a barren wall adjacent to the door. This security division meeting is being hosted by Screech, the head of the division. It's stationed at the front of the room beside the projected image, nervously clattering its teeth as it prepares to partake in the nightmare of public speaking. The attendees are a collection of entities who call the Hotel "home." Opposite to Screech is a large wardrobe. However, it's devoid of clothes and shelving, and full of Hide. Eyes is at the back of the room, trying to not be seen. Ambush and Halt are across the table from each other, just before Eyes. The pair are trying not to make eye contact. The air reeks of tension. Toward the front of the room is Rush, with a devilish grin on its face.

Screech: "G-g-good day everyone. I c-called this m-meeting in order t-to–" 

Screech didn't get the chance to finish its sentence before the sound of a thunderclap penetrated the walls of the Hotel. Screech let out an ear piercing shriek out of fear. At the front table, a shadowy entity makes its presence known. 

Rush: "The meeting hasn't even started and it's already shrieking. What are you, a little girl?" 

The four attendants of this conference erupt in laughter. Screech gets a little embarrassed, but patiently waits for the noise to subside so it can continue its presentation. 

Screech: "Th-thirty nights have passed. A-a-again. I-in this m-meeting, w-we'll review the statistics and we'll end w-with strategy s-suggestions. Let's begin with t-the stats."

Screech: "At the t-top of the leaderboard is A-Ambush, with o-over 500 kills."

The entity in question resides in the middle of the room. Ambush's greenish pale face doesn't react to the good news. Neither does any other being in the room. Screech goes on to display the kills of Halt, Hide, Rush, and Eyes in descending order. Rush and Eyes congratulate each other on their kill counts. Screech sneakily shifts its oily body in front of the projector to block a part of the image from displaying. An entity with particularly exceptional vision takes notice. 

Eyes: "Aren't you forgetting someone?" 

Rush: "Let's see who is at the bottom of the leaderboard this month."

Ambush mutters "again" under its breath, mocking Screech. Screech sighs dejectedly, and reveals the entity that is dead last on the kill leaderboard, itself. Rush and Eyes cackle like witches. Even Ambush can't stop itself from snickering. 

Rush: "One kill is wild! And you didn't even confirm it yourself! I had to assist!"

...

As Screech lurks in the dark, it notices a human passing by. I can do this. I can kill this invader on my own. I know I can do it. I just have to be brave. C'mon Screech! Once it mustered its courage, Screech slinked its way behind the human. After a few seconds, it attacked, tearing out a decent chunk of flesh from the human's back with its chompers. Screech quickly retreated into the shadows after this attack, trying to recover its nerves. Screech would have to attack several more times in order to kill this human. It employed the same strategy again, but this time, the human almost made eye contact with Screech. This gave Screech a mini-heart attack, but with enough recovery time, it was prepared to deliver the final bite. Right as Screech got into position, the human whipped its head around and made direct eye contact with Screech. The oily mass dashed into the shadows, completely forfeiting the fight. Rush was stifling its laughter as it watched this debacle unfold from a few rooms away. Screech tried a few more times to kill the human, but each attempt was unsuccessful.