Chapter 2: Luck of the Dead

Chapter 2: Luck of the dead

Seventy Five sat in his room, his hand in his pocket fiddling with the ring. It was too big for most of his fingers. He's only able to fit the band around his thumb. Wet hair was sticking to his face in a way that he'd normally correct, but his mind was too deep into his newfound trinket. His entire life was about making Father proud. Why did he steal the ring? He knew it was important. He's aware that Father will notice in no time. The fake band he had gotten from a vending machine in one of the few rare times he was out of Sanctus. Seventy Five's mind faded as he stared numbly down to the floor.

He recalled standing beside Father, the man's hands in his pockets as he stared down at the gravestone. Seventy Five looked around, eyeing the flowers that were placed on other people's graves,

"Father," he spoke cautiously, his head pounding from training earlier in the day.

"Must you talk right now? Can you not see I'm mourning," Father said with a roll of his eyes, withdrawing his hand from his pocket to check the time on his watch. Gray clouds had started to roll in, promising rain which sent a shiver through Seventy Five's frame.

"I...am sorry Father, but why doesn't Mother have no flowers?"

"Any flowers, Experiment Seventy Five. Not 'no' flowers."

"Okay, any flowers."

Father let out a loud, dramatic sigh as if answering the question was annoying to him.

"She died because she was a kidnapper. You know she tried to take you from me. Kidnappers don't deserve flowers," he said simply. "We can be sad she is gone, but she deserved what came to her. The universe always punishes those who deserve it."

Seventy Five nodded at this, staring down at the grass that stood tall in front of her stone.

"Come, I have a meeting. You have to demonstrate what you can do," Father said, turning and starting to walk back towards the building they entered. Seventy Five nodded numbly. Every year on his birthday they came to this spot. He didn't fully understand why. His eyes danced over the words on the grave one last time before settling on something that shone on the floor.

He leaned down and picked up a shiny quarter, he hadn't seen it before. He wondered if Father had dropped it. It glowed in the harsh, watery sunlight of the dying sun. The clouds were moving faster, letting a few droplets of rain fall.

"Experiment Seventy Five," Father called out. The child grabbed a dandelion from a patch beside the grave. Placing it down on the cold stone before turning and racing after the other. The pair made it through the small building and the man inside waved at them.

"I'm going to use the restroom, Jon. Can you watch Forrest?" Father's voice was pleasant as he spoke to the other adult.

The nickname was what he called Seventy Five when 'normal' people were around. Father often spoke of how stupid these people were. The only smart ones were living and working at the Sanctus. Seventy Five stood just outside the bathroom door. The large, dark skinned man sitting behind a counter waved at him.

"You're getting big," Jon chuckled. Seventy Five just nodded at this before glancing down at the coin in his palm. He was running his fingers over it. It was cold and felt nice against his skin. The migraine was causing him to overheat.

"You know, pal," Jon said, standing up and walking over to Seventy Five. He eyed the bruise on Seventy Five's cheek. Jon gave him a smile as he leaned down.