Fifty Three

Vara

"Ready?" Freyja looks over at me and smirks. Her frown was shiny and bright.

I nodded and smile. "Ready" We linked hands and walk down the steps of the palace. The hustle and bustle of the banquet below met my ears. There was traditional music playing and scents of home cooked foods wafted in the air.

"Welcoming Princess Freyja"The announcer proclaimed, letting the crowd cheer. Freyja bowed low and took her place beside mother and father.

"And please welcome, Princess Vara. The lost princess. She has returned!"

Igor

And my heart stopped as she descended down the stone steps. My gods she was a dream. Deep beautiful skin that shone like rubies. And a crown to match her countenance. How radiant she looked.
She was ethereal.

Baldr Stood beside me and cursed, even he was perplexed by her beauty.

Baldr

I was plotting my next plan of attack before I left the palace. Her father was foolish to trust me a second time in his palace. But I knew no matter how much I wanted to ransack the place, I knew better not too. I knew vara would never forgive me and could not handle it.

As I'm mapping out the ballroom in my head, my heart drops. I am only left In awestruck wonder as I see Vara climbing down the steps. I'm surprised at how much more radiant she looked, as if she was a woman coming into her own.

I didn't think it was possible to be more beautiful than before but Vara proved the theory wrong.

Vara

Igor and Baldr looked dashing. They were dressed in royal garb with clean clothes tailored to fit.

Igor and Baldr race to meet me from across the room to ask for my hand in dance but a few princes from around the kingdom had the same idea.

The princes from each kingdom danced with me, each man vying for my affections. It had been a while since I had men vying for my attention. I let out a chuckle as I thought of the sarcasm of my statement. Both Igor and Baldr had been vying for my affection since day one.

"I heard they split ten different skeletons and use them as bowls" one prince whispered, holding me close.

"No? That is not true" I correct him.

I dance with another prince and the same rumor is spread. "I heard that Igor the ruthless and Baldr the great got into a match that rumbled the seas. Poseidon had to come up and stop them"

"No, that is not true!" I fumed, snatching my hand away.

And still another prince spread another baseless rumor, "I heard you have scars?"

"Is it true you are marked with iron and bronze?" Another said.

"No! No!" I shake my head.

A crowd of more men and women surround me but my head begins to feel dizzy. I was trying to leave the tight circle. I felt trapped and suffocated.

"Please...let me through"

"Vara! Is it true that you will return to the see?"
"I like Igor but Baldr has a darkness to him that's intriguing"

I try to break free but the circle seemed to tighten around me. Just as I was about to faint, I feel a strong grip encompass around me. I look up and see Baldr.

He observes the crowd of people and frowns

"All those rumors? They're true" Baldr's voice was strong and demanding.

"Even the one with Poseidon?" One princess stepped forward.

"Even that one. Any more questions" he snarled.
The princes and women shook their heads and quickly dispersed.

Baldr stares into my eyes and watches me. "Thank you" I blush.

"You must get used to that...if you decide to stay" he reminds me.

"I never cared for rumors." I whisper, pushing my curl away.

"Really. He smirks, "is that not how you said you met me?" I blushed at his truth.  Music played and he held out his hand. I take it cautiously and he leads me to the floor to dance.

We held each other tightly and I danced.
He held my waist tight, like I was his last dying wish.  Maybe I was crazy but it looked like Baldr was looking at me with love?

His grip was demanding
Unashamed. Baseless.
I didn't realize how much I craved it...

The world stopped and it was only us.
I knew all eyes were on us. Someone with jealously, others with care, and I didn't care.

Baldr moved closer and closer. Before we could finish with a kiss, the musician changes the tune of the song and the band behind him starts a more vibrant tune. Igor stood between us both and smirked.

"May I intervene?"

Igor doesn't wait for my response, nor Baldr's. He comes and takes me in his arms and we kick and clap to the vibrant music.

All eyes were on us as he spun me and dipped me low. We finished but we're out of breath, smiling and staring at each other's lips.

Freyja came and clapped pulling me into her arms. Igor stood stagnant as I was pulled away by my sister.

"Vara! That was simply marvelous! The crowds couldn't stop staring"

"At me and Baldr? Or me and Igor?"

"Both" she giggled. She pulled me to the side and started pointing at each prince, filling me on the latest gossip and fun. I couldn't help but feel my heart swell as I realized where I was. My eyes took in the room with pride.

Krodam and his crew clapped in the background.
My mother finally smiled. My dad was not too thrilled but he still kept up a neutral font.

I see him whisper to the head guard before taking his chalice and sipping it. I didn't like the look on his face. The guards go over to Igor and another set meets Baldr.

"Freyja...look" I point to the guards. She frowns and shakes her head. "Don't worry Vara! Father is probably just keeping an extra eye on them.

I didn't like the look of it but I knew I couldn't act without proof. Freyja grabs my palm and pulls me towards the crowd, encouraging me to dance and enjoy the night.