Chapter 9: The Fall of Elizabeth Bathaumley

Rosemarie still found it hard to believe that such a kind and caring woman could do such evil things, like killing innocent people. Seated with her hands tied behind her back, her gaze followed Elizabeth as she leisurely tipped the wine glass, the crimson liquid passing between her red lips.

"Hmm... Her blood tastes... different. Sweeter."

"Please don't kill her," she cried. The other girls were already dead and the only ones left were her and Luna. While she was stuck with the person she treated as her second mother, Luna was in another room somewhere in the basement, her blood in the wine glass on Elizabeth's hand.

"Rosemarie darling, you don't need to worry about her. Unlike you, her life means nothing. Even if she dies today, no one will bother. No one will even care."

"That's not true..."

The old woman chuckled, the sound of her heels echoing inside the poorly lit room as she approached the scared girl, cowering even more as she slowly crossed the distance between them. "Don't be scared, darling. It is not yet your time. Who knows? If those men will get me two more girls then you'll be lucky. I will free you."

"Please stop," Rose pleaded, tears threatening to fall from her eyes. "This isn't you—"

"You don't know me!" Elizabeth screamed, cutting whatever the now crying girl was about to say. She looked away and turned on her heels. "I am suffering and no one knows about that, not even you or your family."

"Then let us help you. Please, Elizabeth... Let us help you. It's not yet too late for you to stop."

"You can't help me, Rosemarie. This is the only way. Once I'm done, I'll become young again. I will have a new identity and leave this old town for good. I'll find someone to love and we'll be happy for the rest of our lives."

Rose was lost for words. That person had the same face as the woman she loved but she didn't know her anymore. She was insane.

Elizabeth knelt in front of her and cupped her face with her wrinkly old hands. "I'm just lonely, you see. I just want a second chance in life where I can be happy for once. Is that too much to ask for?"

Rose shook her head. Her heart was in pain as she looked at her face, her kind teary eyes. She loved her. She didn't know she was so lonely. It would be a lie if she said she didn't want her to be happy but at what expense?

"Elizabeth, listen to me. I can understand you and believe me when I tell you that it also hurts me that you're in pain, that you're lonely. I want you to find love but this, what you're doing, this is wrong. You're killing people and for what? To be young again? That's not even true."

"Stop." Elizabeth closed her eyes and took a deep breath to calm herself. When she opened them, her eyes had hardened. She stood up and walked over to the table where she placed the wine glass. The sight of the crimson blood was enough to strengthen her resolve.

"I thought you'll understand me. I thought you'll be happy for me once I found my happiness. I thought wrong. You're just the same as them."

"Elizabeth please listen to me—"

The door flung open with a loud sound that both the female were surprised. Raven was the first to come in followed by Colin. "I'm sorry for the sudden intrusion but we're kinda in a hurry."

"Colin!" Rose was so relieved that she couldn't stop crying again. She never thought someone would come to save them.

Raven rolled her eyes. "I'm here too, young lady."

"Oh." Rose blinked, not recognizing the other person. "I'm sorry but have we met before?" she asked, sniffing.

"Oh, my bad! We haven't met before, where are my manners? I'm—"