Chapter Twelve

Aemond walked amidst the crowd of nobles, glancing occasionally from his left to right hoping to spot the person he was was looking for.

He swiftly grabbed a cup of wine as he passed one the servants who held a tray full of chalices.

Much to his surprise, Adira did take his advice on the young lord Elric Tyrell.

Aemond mentally swore at himself even though he himself had suggested the match to her just little while ago. The boy grunted before chugging down the entire cup of wine.

"Elric" Aemond greeted with a curt nod to which the younger boy responded by mirroring him "might I speak with the princess?"

"I am having a conversation at this moment" Adira gave Aemond a look that was a mixture of confusion and slight annoyance "I shall be happy to make your acquaintance later"

"It's rather important, I'm afraid it can't wait-"

"Well I'm sorry" Adira forced a smile to mask her irritation "but as you can clearly see, I am already talking to someone. Or perhaps the lack of an eye makes it difficult to do so?"

Aemond, who was quick to come up with an insult was for the first time in years, silent. He knew Adira took a certain interest in annoying him, the whole thing somehow seemed to amuse and entertain her.

Yet, he didn't expect her to taunt him about the eye she took and at the very least, not in front of another lord.

"I shall take my leave then" he spoke coldly, fighting the urge to say something much worse but for the sake of their family name, and to avoid making a scene, he decided to hold his tongue "you've made yourself quiet clear"

Adira, who seemed to have lost control over herself, felt her heart sink at the sight of Aemond switch from someone who was so eager to tell her something, like a child showing his mother a picture he painted to a person filled with disappointment, who no longer wanted to look at her.

All the years and instances of him tolerating her seemed to have come to an end at that one snide remark that she made. The entire thing about Aemond losing an eye was already a very touchy subject for the Prince, but Adira felt she pushed the wrong switch by taunting him about it in front of another noble.

"I can leave" Elric awkwardly glanced from Aemond to Adira.

The princess, who was too preoccupied regretting saying what she just did, didn't bother responding to the lord.

She instead went after Aemond, who had seemed to increase his pace to get away from the hall, the feast and her.

"Aemond" The girl called out, unable to catch up to him with that heavy gown of hers "would you just listen to me?"

The boy huffed in annoyance and only increased his speed.

"Aemond Targaryen you will stop right this instant"

"Oh I'm sorry, anything else you'd have me do? Perhaps walk back into the great hall so you can insult me in front of a few more lords?" Aemond turned to look at her but still walked backwards "was that entire thing just a spectacle for you? Me losing an eye? It took weeks for the entire mess to heal and it took even longer to fucking learn how to manoeuvre with that blind side. Do you know that I could barely stand to look at myself in a mirror without punching the glass? Not to mention the judgmental stares people seem to throw while I'm at court"

"Oh I wouldn't know anything about begin judged by the rest of the world" Adira chuckled sarcastically, raising her voice so that the boy could hear her over the distance he was maintaining by walking away from her "it's not like people constantly kept whispering that I'm a bastard, you contributing to it and making things much worse. It's one thing when servants gossip but when a prince says something, it carries a lot more weight"