Chapter Twenty-seven

It had been almost a year since Aegon ruled as king.

With Aemond now residing at Runsestone along with his wife Adira, step daughter to Rhaenyra, there were talks that Aegon was unfit to rule to a point where even his own brother had left his side, which wasn't entirely true. Aemond never returned because of the guilt he felt for having to kill the Boltons while approaching them as the queen's envoy. He decided to stay at Runestone, away from the tensions of both the green and black courts with his wife and his two new born children, Lucereon and Jasira; twins.

A number of houses along with house Stark and House Arryn had come to side with the black queen.

Aemond never swore his fealty to Rhaenyra, his love for his mother and his siblings wouldn't let him but he would do anything for his wife. The prince wasn't particularly fond of the idea of senseless murder, but if his wife asked him to, he would rain fire and burn cities for his beloved.

That was the closest display of support for Rhaenyra's party that he would offer.

With finally having an ample amount of allies to lay siege, Daemon led his armies on their march to King's landing to reclaim his wife's throne.

Adira hadn't received notice of this from him. Not because he didn't trust her, but rather because of his lack of faith in her spouse who was brother to the usurper king.

Rhaenyra's army along with her dragon riders, inclusive of Jacaerys, Baela, Joffrey, Daemon, Rhaenys and herself, stood at the city gates, demanding the surrender of the greens.

The queen did not wish for innocent blood to be spilt, she refused Daemon's council to attack and instead offered them a chance to surrender peacefully first.

Otto, despite Alicent being against it, refused to let go of everything he'd done to secure the Hightower's prestigious place at court. He would rather wage war than to admit defeat.

He called his troops to March to the gates with Aegon, Helaena and Daeron flew above with their dragons.

The battle was bloody and gruesome, men killing men, fire consuming everything it touched and distant echos of people screaming in agony as the flames destroyed the city and it's people.

Jacaerys, eager to avenge the death of his brother, had fixed his target as Aegon, who it was rumoured, threw a feast upon hearing about the death of his nephew.

Both dragons brawled in mid air, Sunfyre sinking its teeth into Vermax's neck who was doing its best to tear apart one of Sunfyre's wings. Both dragons took a great amount of injuries until it became impossible to bare any longer, falling to the ground with their riders still chained to their saddle.

Joffrey did try to rush to his older brother's aid but Daeron was quick to charge with an attack.

As Daemon had said, the greens didn't stand a chance against them especially since Rhaenyra had a lot more dragons on her side and with Aemond and Vhagar not partaking in the fight, the battle was as good as won.

At long last, the bells finally rang to single their surrender but it was far to late for the damage had already been caused to both parties.

Jace had not survived the fall and died while Aegon who miraculously survived with fatalistic wounds managed to escape. Sunfyre was severely wounded as opposed to Vermax who died due to his lethal injuries.