CHAPTER 8 ' Fondness

⠀⠀⠀I thought that would comfort Scaramouche a bit but he seemed more pissed than comforted. He almost seemed furious. Scaramouche kept pulling the grass out of the ground with his left hand, still looking at the ground in front of him. His face was covered by shadows from his hat so I couldn't really see his expression.

⠀⠀⠀We stood there in silence for a few minutes. I tried to help him calm down by caressing his shoulder.. waiting for him to say something or waiting for anything to happen.

⠀⠀⠀"You'll eventually leave as well. Just like all the others! Don't fucking lie to me."

⠀⠀⠀"I'm not. Don't yell."

⠀⠀⠀"DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" Scaramouche yelled. He pushed my hand off his shoulder and left to go deeper in the Aranara cave. I didn't know if I should follow him or not so i just layed there on my back.

⠀⠀⠀Maybe he needed time to calm down. I don't fully understand him and all his emotions but I don't want to force myself down his throat.

⠀⠀⠀At least 15 minutes passed when I heard footsteps heading towards me. I raised my head a bit to see Scaramouche. He was back.

⠀⠀⠀"Hey." I said with a smile.

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche didn't say anything he just... threw a flower at my head. It was a Sumeru Rose. I laughed. It was kind of cute.
⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche sat down beside me again.

⠀⠀⠀"You're not lying, right?" He asked.

⠀⠀⠀"I am not." I replied, once again giving him a smile.

⠀⠀⠀He gave me a smile back. A gentle smile.

⠀⠀⠀"Hey? Scara I have a -"
⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀"No."

⠀⠀⠀"Scaramouche... What are you..no, we going to do?"

⠀⠀⠀"What are you asking?"

⠀⠀⠀"You're a criminal and a runaway. The Fatui wrote your name down on their Blacklist."

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche nodded. "We will figure it out."

⠀⠀⠀It was night already. The lights on the sky were flickering, the sky wasn't covered by clouds and the moon was full.

⠀⠀⠀"Being by your side has helped me experience a feeling I've never felt before." Scaramouche whispered while looking at the sky.
⠀⠀⠀"I'm not one to receive kindness from others. I appreciate you being the first one to show me that in such a long time. Unfortunately... even though I've been nothing but engulfed in kindness from you, I won't ever be able to forgive this cruel world. My fury will never quell." He sighed and looked back at me.
⠀⠀⠀"This world. Its nothing but a canvas painted with lies. If I could, I would take you by the hand to a new, better world with me. There... no one would ever betray us. I would be the ruler and you could be by my side. Wouldn't that be delightful?" He looked back at the sky.
⠀⠀⠀"Here, every pure soul has a cruel ending. Even though you fight for your ideals it you always ends up with you dead...
⠀⠀⠀I've grown attached to you. How foolish of someone like me. How dumb of me. I thought that after all this time I learned to keep my distance from everyone or I would just end up hurt once more."

⠀⠀⠀His eyes sparkled in the gentle moonlight. I couldn't really say anything. It wasn't really need for me to talk. I appreciated hearing Scaramouche be so open about what he feels with me and I'm glad he doesn't feel revolted to be around me anymore. There surely is hope in this world for everyone... one way or the other.

⠀⠀⠀"Hence my distance, I never got to experience some things I've always wanted to do." Scaramouche continued.

⠀⠀⠀"Oh? What's that? Maybe I can help you experience those things!"

⠀⠀⠀He looked away for a bit.

⠀⠀⠀"Well, I've always wanted to visit a festival alongside other people... and take part in its activities. I never got to experience one. Mostly because whenever mortals would lay eyes on me they would panic and run away. Fools."

⠀⠀⠀"Well you can't really blame them... You don't really have a friendly aura."

⠀⠀⠀"Someone told me that before. He was part of the Fatui. An absolute pain to be around."

⠀⠀⠀I let out a small laugh. "Haha! Tartaglia, right?"

⠀⠀⠀"Yes. He was so irritating... I swear, if I was allowed to I would've killed him a day after meeting him for the first time."

⠀⠀⠀"He's not that awful..."

⠀⠀⠀I caught Scaramouche side-eyeing me after my comment which made me laugh once again.

⠀⠀⠀"I've seen people be awfully close to each other before. People call that love, don't they? Between two entities."

⠀⠀⠀I nodded.

⠀⠀⠀"It makes me nauseous to see people so... touchy."

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche made a disgusted face which made me laugh once again. He looked at me with a smile on his face then continued.

⠀⠀⠀"Though, I'd be lying to myself if I said I wouldn't want to experience such a thing. Such fondness... It feels like a one of a kind lifelong connection."

⠀⠀⠀"I'm sure you'll be able to experience such thing, Scaramouche!"

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche chuckled. "I probably will not. There's no one I've ever wished to experience such a bond with during all my years of life..."

⠀⠀⠀"It's never too late for love. I think that every creature that exists has a soul mate." I told him while pointing at the starry sky.

⠀⠀⠀"What if you don't have a soul?"

⠀⠀⠀"Every breathing creature has a soul."

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche placed a hand where his heart should be and kept it there, letting out a sigh.

⠀⠀⠀"But, if it makes you feel any better, from what I remember, I never got to experience having a partner either... I'm sure we'll both find someone Scaramouche!"

⠀⠀⠀"You're such a kind-hearted person, Y/N."
⠀⠀⠀Hearing him say my name in his soft voice made my heart flutter.
⠀⠀⠀"Thank you."

⠀⠀⠀It was getting late, my head was getting heavier and heavier. I let out a yawn.

⠀⠀⠀"Rest." Scaramouche said.

⠀⠀⠀I agreed, being way too tired to stay awake for longer. I layed back next to Scaramouche, rolled to my side and closed my eyes.

⠀⠀⠀As I was slowly falling asleep I could feel Scaramouche's hand on my upper arm. He was moving it up and down slowly... softly...
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀

"Sleep well, dear Y/N."
He whispered.