CHAPTER 17 ' ???

⠀⠀⠀The whole world around me was nothing but pitch black. No sound to be heard, no movement to be seen. Everything was empty.

⠀⠀⠀I took a step forward trying to find my way around the darkness, careful of every step, scared I would fall down.

⠀⠀⠀I walked and walked... nothing to be found anywhere. I didn't sense anything around...

⠀⠀⠀Until I fell. I feel down... something. And I kept falling, falling deep in a never ending void.

⠀⠀⠀I was alone... it was cold. I was scared.

⠀⠀⠀I hit the floor. A hard ground made of stone. I was outside. My whole body hurt. I tried to yell for someone or something but my voice was left unheard.

⠀⠀⠀The terrain was covered by a thick gray fog which made it hard to see or breathe.

⠀⠀⠀I kept walking even though I felt as if I was suffocating.

⠀⠀⠀Far ahead I saw a light. A red-orange light. I started running towards it, completely ignoring my surroundings, my gaze fixed on the light.

⠀⠀⠀I ended up on a field free of fog. I could see... but I wish I didn't. All around me, from left to right... bodies... lifeless bodies of people and creatures around Teyvat. I recoiled.

⠀⠀⠀The closer I got to the people the similar their faces looked to me. I knew these people... but I didn't know who they are. Who are they? Why do I know them? Why are they so familiar.

⠀⠀⠀I reached out, trying to see if any of them would wake up but their faces started distorting. One by one, all of the entities were almost melting away into the ground.

⠀⠀⠀I looked around me once again. Everything in front of my eyes, everything, on fire. The flames were eating away the structures, the ground was breaking into pieces. A whole region fallen into utter chaos. I could hear people yelling in agony from further away.

⠀⠀⠀Everything was crumbling down at my feet and... I couldnt do anything about it. So many poor souls, so many dreams... gone. My feet were stuck to the ground, I couldn't move a muscle, all I could do was stare.

⠀⠀⠀I felt someone pick me up and drag me away from the scene, I tried to look at them but they had no face, it was blurred. Even so, even the persons touch felt... familiar.

⠀⠀⠀The last thing I remember was I started crying, sobbing when weird "objects" started falling all around me and the one who rescued me. Dark... cubes? One of them fell right in front of me and I...

⠀⠀⠀I woke up. I could still barely breathe... It felt so... real. It felt as if I have lived through it... Did I...

⠀⠀⠀I tried to stop thinking about it since I was already getting sick from just thinking about it.

⠀⠀⠀"Good morning." I mumbled in hope for a response. Scaramouche was still holding me in his arms, resting one on my back. I slowly turned my head to look up at him.

⠀⠀⠀He wasn't moving. He had his eyes closed and his head leaned back against the stone wall of the domain.

⠀⠀⠀Was he... sleeping? His breathing was steady...

⠀⠀⠀I tried getting up but the moment I started moving, Scaramouche held me down.

⠀⠀⠀"Are you awake?" I asked yet there was no answer. Even though the dream I just had left a bitter taste in my mouth... Seeing Scaramouche so... tranquil... put me at rest a bit.

⠀⠀⠀I held onto one of his hands, still seeking comfort nonetheless.

⠀⠀⠀I might've moved too much because Scaramouche finally said something right after.

⠀⠀⠀"Y/N. You're trembling."

⠀⠀⠀"Sorry."

⠀⠀⠀He tried lifting me up a bit so he could look me in the eyes.

⠀⠀⠀"You're crying."

⠀⠀⠀Was I? I was. "It's no biggie, don't worry."

⠀⠀⠀"You're shaking and crying. I don't have to be a master at emotions or human behaviour to understand that this isn't something I should just brush off."

⠀⠀⠀He cupped my face in his hands. He was... cold.

⠀⠀⠀"What happened? Did someone hurt you? Y/N, what the fuck happened?"

⠀⠀⠀I tried saying something but I couldn't. I felt like my whole body was just going to collapse so I... started crying more...

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche looked worried. He stood there frozen for a bit then pulled me closer to him.

⠀⠀⠀"Stop crying. You're... you're soaking my clothes." He awkwardly caressed my back.

⠀⠀⠀"I'm sorry."

⠀⠀⠀"Tell me what happened."

⠀⠀⠀"I... I was in a place... a place that was getting destroyed. It was all pure chaos and distruction. And, and.. I wanted to help but I couldn't move... Then some... person... picked me up and tried carrying me away... There were so many... dead people... everywhere. "

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche's eyes widened. He was still looking at me but wasn't present in the situation. "Ahah... I'll figure it out."

⠀⠀⠀"Figure what out...?" I asked.

⠀⠀⠀"How to explain this all to you...

It makes
so much sense
now."