Irene of Athens- Ειρήνη της Αθήνας

Born in 752 AD to a noble family, in Athens, Greece. She was married to the future Byzantine Emperor, Leo IV, in 769. Irene gave birth to a son about a year later, named Constantine VII. Her father in law, Constantine VI died in 775. Leo ascended the throne with his wife becoming empress consort. Leo's reign was plagued with constant turmoil, he was perpetually embroiled in a rivalry with his 5 younger brothers, who challenged his authority & Leo eventually had them all sent into exile. At the time there was a controversy about the worship of icons which had been banned by Leo IV's predecessor, Leo III, but Irene who had come from farther west, held them in high regard. Leo tried to reconcile these 2 groups by appointing a bishop, who supported the iconophiles "icon lovers" more than the iconoclasts or "icon smashers". By 780, Leo had reversed this decision & instead began backing the iconoclasts. The Eastern Roman Empire was also invaded on a number of occasions by Caliph al-Mahdi but he was always thwarted in his attempts.

Leo IV died in September 780, after coming down with a severe fever during yet another battle against the Caliph's forces. There have been some rumors that were passed down over the centuries, that Irene herself had poisoned her husband. As her son, Constantine VI was only 9, at the time of his father's death, Irene became regent. Her closest advisor was the minister, Staurakios. Apart from also being a woman, she was also detested by many of her subjects for being a iconophile; her late husband's brothers sought to remove her from power. Upon uncovering their plot, Irene had them ordained as priests, eliminating their ability to claim the right to rule.

The same year she also arranged a marriage between her son & the daughter of Frankish Emperor Charlemagne, Rotrude. In 784, an archbishop named, Tarasius, was appointed, on the condition that the "veneration of iconic images" was decreed lawful. A council met two years later, but it was interrupted by forces backed by Irene's son, Constantine. Another meeting was organized the following year, in Nicaea; which concluded that the banning of iconic veneration would be permitted, but their significance was delineated as the worship of God, rather than the images themselves. Both Irene & Constantine signed the decree on October 23, 787. This was also a momentous occasion cause it brought the Eastern Orthodox Church back into the good graces of the Church of Rome.

By the end of that year, Irene terminated her son's betrothal to the Frankish princess, Rotrude, despite Constantine's protests. By 788, the Franks & Byzantines were at war with the Byzantines being largely victorious. While the war was still ongoing, Irene held a bridal party to select a new bride for her son. She chose Maria of Amnia, the granddaughter of St. Philaretos & the daughter of a wealthy Greek official. Constantine & Maria were married in November and together they had 2-3 daughters.

A revolt broke out in 790 against Irene, over when she would accede power to her now 16 year old son, Constantine. With the full support of the army, Constantine was able to wrest power from his mother & rule in his own right; though his mother kept her title of Empress. But just 2 years later, Irene resumed her position as co-ruler. Her son had been a mostly ineffectual rule, losing in battle against the Bulgars & the Arabs, as well as when his uncles lead yet another coup to take the throne; Constantine had one uncle blinded & the others tongues cut when the coup failed. He is also said to have mercilessly crushed a Armenian rebellion.

In 794, Constantine took a mistress by the name of, Theodote, who had previously been one of Irene's ladies in waiting, as he had no male children with his wife, Maria. He divorced Maria in January 795, sending her & their daughters into exile. Constantine married Theodote in September of that year, though Archbishop Tarsius was vehemently against the marriage though he eventually gave in & gave the couple his blessing. However, Constantine still lost much support over his marriage to Theodote.

In 797, Irene led another conspiracy against her son. Constantine attempted to flee Constantinople but was captured & brought before his mother, who ordered for her son to be blinded. It's disputed amongst historians whether he died of his injuries or he & Theodote retired from royal life. In their lifetimes, their home became a monastery. Theodote & Constantine had 2 sons, one who was born in 796 but died in May 797 & a second was born after his father was deposed but died young.

Irene finally ruled in her own right, even on a few occasions signing officially documents as emperor (basileus). Her brothers in law led yet another revolt against her in 799 & Irene had them blinded. As the Byzantine Empire was now led by a woman, who by law couldn't lead the army or sit upon the throne, Pope Leo III declared the throne unoccupied & held a coronation ceremony in Rome for Charlemagne on Christmas Day, 800; declaring him as the Holy Roman Emperor. Irene tried to arrange a marriage between herself & Charlemagne but this plan fell apart when she eventually lost her influence.

After another grievous loss to the Arabs, Irene's power continued to rapidly decline amongst her government officials. In 802, her own government rebelled against her; as the Byzantine throne wasn't technically hereditary, the officials had to elect a new emperor. Irene was replaced by the finance minister, Nikephoros. She accepted her fall from grace, in order to ensure her survival and was exiled to the island of Lesbos. She died on August 9, 803.

Irene is often recognized as a beloved saint of the Greek or Eastern Orthodox Church with a feast day on August 9. The Byzantines never recognized Charlemagne as Holy Roman Emperor, as they believed the title belonged to a Byzantine. Irene is best remembered for her role in restoring the veneration of icons in the Eastern Church & sponsoring the construction of a number of monasteries.

Side notes:

St. Philaretos- a saint from the 8th cen. AD; he was a farmer, who distributed alms to the poor, as he felt it was his calling from God; despite living in poverty himself.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Irene-Byzantine-empress-752-803

thoughtco.com/irene-of-athens-p2-3529666