00. Prologue

Disclaimer; I do not own The Maze Runner, which is why I cry myself to sleep every night.

You weren't supposed to go there.

This wasn't supposed to happen.

What have you done?

I hear the voice calling in my head while I sit in the darkness that consumes me. What was he talking about? Wasn't supposed to be where? Everything is confusing, and the harder I try to figure it out, the more confusing it gets.

I shoot up with a start, gasping for air. I claw at my throat, trying to get air in, but my gasps don't seem to bring enough oxygen into my lungs. When I finally catch my breath I blink away the fuzziness from my eyes and take in my surroundings. My breathing shallows as I look upward at the walls that tower tall above me. They must be hundreds of feet high, littered with vines and cracks. I stand and spin in a circle slowly, realizing I'm completely surrounded by these walls.

I notice lines of sunlight streaking the sky from my left. The sun is rising in the direction, so that's east. At least I've got some sense of direction.

I think of where I learned that from, but come up with a blank. It's like I can hear the words someone's using to teach me this, but I can't remember how they sound or who they were.

That's weird.

I try to think of how old I am, what I look like, who my parents were, anything, but all I come up with is a blank. I can't remember anything.

My name? What's my name?

Once again, I draw a blank. I concentrate, closing my eyes.

Hadley. My name is Hadley.

Suddenly, I feel a burning sensation on my wrist. I pull it up closer to my face to examine it, and I let out a breath when I saw what was there. In small, black letters, tattooed there were a few words and numbers that are instantly seared into my mind.

PROPERTY OF WICKED

GROUP A, SUBJECT A0

THE MISTAKE

Coming soon.