Chapter 2 - The Jaws of Thorn

"Can you believe she actually wove this from dried tumbleweeds?"

Winters heart caught in his throat. Shame, too. Definitely some shame.

Had he just been caught admiring The Jaws of Thorn? The dragon that probably has killed more Icewings than prey?

And here he was, smiling ruefully at Winter. As though the world spun perfectly on its axis. As though there was no war.

"That's...you?" Winter choked hoarsely.

He barked a laugh. "Yep. What did I say? Handsome. Feel free to keep looking for as long as you want."

Winter guffawed, summoning up a deadly spray of frost breath. Icy ridges perked threateningly on the back of his neck.

"I am NOT -"

"But also, it IS interesting, right?" Objected the Jaws of Thorn, "How every tribe has their talents? Like, maybe even beneath every Icewings aggressive exterior, might be a talented snarky dragon. Maybe even a very lonely one?" He fluttered his eyes suggestively at Winter.

"Enough!" Winter growled, face flushed. He opened his mouth, and -

"Oh, no. Yep. No thanks," The Jaws of Thorns eyes narrowed. With some struggle he clambered on top of Winter and held his mouth shut. Winter glared into his beady eyes. "Is this how you treat every new dragon you meet?"

Just like that, Winter had been disarmed. All he could do now was hopelessly claw and growl through clenched teeth. Eventually, his eyes slid down the gold dragon. To his amber earring, and to his necklace. (With a few peeks of his brawn here and there.)

The Gift of Valiance! Winter realized with alarm

According to Icewing veterans, The Jaws of Thorn wore the Gift of Valiance - a great honor bestowed from his Queen, supposedly it was stolen by an Icewing traitor.

A moment of tense silence slipped through. Unexpectedly, The Jaws of Thorn cleared his throat awkwardly, face flushed.

"I'm sure there was a better way of doing that." He grinned. "I'm going to get off you now. Don't use your sneaky death-breath of me, okay? I trust you." When Winter didn't respond, the Jaws of Thorn warily took slow, cautious steps away from him.

"See?" The sand dragon said innocently, ignoring when Winter rubbed a bruised spot on his shoulder angrily. "You can trust me."

"You're kidding. THIS is the Sandwings deadly Jaws of Thorn?" Winter guffawed calculatedly. "Not quite what I was expecting." He stood fully, and (with a pinch of gratification), realized he was taller than his worst enemy.

"What did you just call me?" the other dragon asked, cocking his head slightly, tactfully ignoring Winters implications. Amber twinkled with his every move. Winters eyes continued to snag on the colorful earring.

Puffing out his chest nobly, Winter taunted, "Yeah, I know you. But you don't scare me. Surprised? Get used to it."

"Wow..." The Jaws of Thorn observed eagerly. Excitedly, he clutched Winters talons. "Did you come up with that yourself? I'm flattered! What's wrong with your face?"

Winter threw himself away from him and spat, "Are you even listening? It's obviously NOT a compliment! What is wrong with you? Is every Sandwing this oblivious, or are you an exception?"

Unfazed, the Jaws of Thorn shrugged, his barbed tail dragged along the cracked floor. "Don't worry, I was just distracting you long enough for - oh! Hey, Thorn." Abruptly, he swept down in a deep bow.

Startled, Winter swung around, heart racing.

I'm strong...but strong enough to take on the Sandwing QUEEN?