Chapter II

12 years ago.

"You're awake." A deep voice startled me. I turned toward the voice and saw a tall man. "Do you feel anything strange with your body?" The man asked. He's standing in the shadows. A part of his body is illuminated by the lights creeping in from the window's creek, but not his head. I shook my head as a reply as I don't feel anything weird with my body. Not even the burning sensation I was feeling before.

"Hmm." The man walked out of the shadows. Long red hair, and red eyes. A pair of horns, one on each side of his head.

"I am Zokiel Aerginuth, the head lord of Aerginuth. What is your name?" He asked. Perhaps because he noticed how I was hesitating and sweating in fear after seeing his appearance, he put forward his hand to me. As if it was an invitation.

The quiver in my heart didn't stop. If it was anything, it got worse. This hand... What will happen to me if I refuse it? Somehow, somewhere deep inside me is telling me to accept it. Not because it's harmless, but the opposite. It's to survive.

I accepted the hand in front of me. "May-" I couldn't finish my name, like something is holding my throat tight. I swallowed my saliva, my heart wouldn't calm down. His hand gripped mine firmly as if nudging me to finish it. "May-Maylea" I finished it.

"Maylea. From now on, you'll be Maylea Aerginuth, my daughter. Understood?" He said, still gripping my hand firmly—no, it got tighter. I nodded like my life depended on it. He finally let go of my hand and stood up.

Before he left the room he took a glance at me and said, "perhaps you should know this. You will go through the second shift which will be much more painful than your first little burning. I'm guessing it'll come in 2 days. I do hope you will live this time too, my daughter. I told you, you drank too much for your own good."

Two days later and he wasn't lying. The burning came so much stronger than before. Not just the burning... my head, my whole body felt like splitting. I'm in a mess of my own tears, sweat and pukes. It felt like my insides were churning.

Stop!

Stop it!

Please!

It hurts!

By the time I found myself begging for the pain to stop, I was already slowly losing consciousness. And for the next few days, the pain intensifies with each days that I was either seething in agonizing pain or unconscious from it.