Chapter One: Nightmare

Chapter 1

NICKEL

"Cover your head! Miguel, guard Nickel!" My father screamed loudly, fishing out the gun on his back pocket. Miguel, one of our security, hid me under the desk as I heard few gunshots coming near us.

"Dad..." I tried my best to make my voice clear and not to be shaky. "What's happening? Miguel..." I called for his name, he looked at me with a hint of fear on his eyes.

My father checked on me. He firmly squeezed my shoulder then, he started kissing my face. "Whatever happens today, Nickel, always remember how powerful a Yu is. I love you, son."

"Fuck!" He cursed out loud when Miguel fell down from a shot.

My tears were freely falling as I covered my
ears.

I woke up catching my breath, my neck and chest drenched with my own sweat.

I never thought that I would dream of this again. It happened a long time ago and I did my best to bury it. My father died and at the same day, my mother vanished without a trace. I was only 10 years old when it all happened. It was tragic, yeah. But, it made me who I am today.

I received a text from Jasper, my secretary slash companion slash friend, that I need to meet him at Makati. I want to call him and curse at him for disturbing me. Today is Sunday and it is my rest day. Maybe I should be emphasize more that no work shall be conducted during my day off.

I placed my phone down and went straight to the shower. A cold shower might help calming me down from the nightmare I had earlier.

This is just a casual meeting that's why I'm not gonna wear formal clothes and leather shoes. Finally, I'm wearing something casual. I picked a Balmain classic shirt, a denim pants, and a Onitsuka Tiger shoes. I brushed my hair neatly and sprayed a perfume on my neck and wrists.

I grabbed my car keys that was placed on a jade colored jar near my bedroom door. Billy followed me downstairs—my a year old Cane Corso. One of my business partner gifted him to me on my last year's birthday. I don't like dogs before. But look at me now, I treat Billy like my own son.

"Billy, you can't come with me. I have something to attend and dogs aren't allowed there." I told him and patted his head. He barked at me as if he understands what I'm saying.

"I promise to bring you steak and salmon." He barked again. "Good boy." I smiled.

I'm expecting heavy traffic along my way going to the coffee shop that Jasper picked. I'm not a fan of coffee but sometimes I drink frappe.

I connected my phone to the speaker and scroll my favorite playlist. I'm feeling The Weeknd vibe today, I chose The Hills as the first song of the day.

I messaged Jasper that I'd be late because of the heavy traffic. And he has the guts to tell me I'm just reasoning out not to see him. Crazy.

I slowed down my speed when I saw that the stoplight will turn red. After I stepped on the brake, someone's car crashes on the back of my car. I hissed under my breath and closed my eyes. I unbuckled my seatbelt so that I could check what damage it done to my car. Oh fuck, it was the Corvette that I'm using now. The color was customized as well. Who is this bastard and careless driver? How the hell did he get his license?!

The driver of the other car stepped out and check his car as well.

"I apologize, I stepped on the brake late." The guy apologized and he looked very sorry. I want to accept his sorry but it will not change the fact that my car has scratches.

"Sorry? Do you think your sorry will erase the scratches on my car?" I sound so sarcastic. Fuck, I can't help it. I'm frustrated and the weather was hot as hell.

"How much for the damage? I could buy you a new car." He stated. Now, he's showing off. I noticed that he was driving a Mercedes-Benz. Oh, he's rich... maybe?

"Don't bother. Maybe you cannot afford it, since this is custom made for me." I answered, smirking. I looked at his face, a sly smirk appeared. Looks like I hurt his ego.

"Try me. Seven digits? No problem." He said.

— • — • — • — • — •

I saw how pissed Jasper was. He waited for me for at least 2 hours. I smiled at him as if nothing happened. And beside, I am his boss. Why would he show me some attitude?

"Stop frowning, will you? Sorry, I'm late." I gave in. He even frowned his forehead more.

"What happened? You texted me 2 hours ago that you're on your way." He asked before taking a sip on his coffee.

"Where's my coffee first?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"None because you don't like coffee." He purred.

I can't believe him. "How about buying me a bottle of water?"

"You're so talkative. So what really happened?" He asked again. This time more insistent.

I took a deep breather and scanned the whole cafe. I saw some of our men scattered in the area.

"I encountered an accident."

"What?! Why are you saying this just now??" He said exaggeratedly. I gestured him to speak softly and lowly.

"Too loud." I rolled my eyes at him. "It's not a big deal. Someone bumped my Corvette."

"I thought something serious happened to you."

"Are you still thinking about the shooting last week? Speaking of, do you have any leads?"

"My team and I are having a hard time. We can't access for clearer videos from the CCTVs. And some cameras are not working. And the getaway car has fake plate." He informed me, I nodded my head for acknowledgement.

"Don't stress yourself over it. You know how business like ours work. Let's just tighten the security." I crossed my arms over my chest.