11: Unexpected Nikkah

It had been two weeks since she had apologized to Alhaji and Fareeda still cringed and cursed herself whenever she remembered how she had apologized to him. She couldn't believe what she just did, how could she have apologized to someone like him? She had in mind that Mujaheed should better keep up his promise because there was no way she was going to take a no as an answer from. She had confirmed from Nana that she had told him about the apology, she needn't to worry about anything else.

Even though with each passing day, her anxiety grew even bigger because the day kept approaching, it only left two weeks before the said day of their marriage. She hardly met Alhaji, which she was thankful for and also he hadn't said anything to her. She figured out he might've been angry at her because Mujaheed had called off the wedding. Her phone rang beside her and when she saw the caller ID her phone nearly fell down, she kept staring at the phone until the call ended without her knowing, and she was about to call him back when he called again. Wait, was he dying? She knew it would only be a matter of death or life for Adam to call her twice in his life.

She cleared her voice and put up a stoic expression before she picked the call, "Hello?" She said weakly, she missed him. She felt as her heart moved, it had been nearly three months and Adam didn't think it was right for him to call her, right? She thought it was over between them, even tough she wasn't sure about the reason why he called her.

"Fareeda, I've missed you." That was the first thing he said, and she felt all her guards breaking down. She had never imagined that Adam would call her ever again after the message he sent to her, and for him to said that he had missed her was what she would have denied if someone came to tell her about.

Tears brewed from her eyes but she quickly flicked them, she was done crying for Adam and that was certain. She silently prayed that her heart wouldn't betray her. "I've missed you to, Adam. It hasn't been easy not having contact with each other for months now. How have you been?" She softly asked, because she wasn't going to lie to herself by saying she didn't miss him, she did. She missed him really bad and she prayed they would be back together after all these hassles were over.

"I've realized something for the past few months, Fareeda, I love you. I've always been in love with you but it hadn't occurred to me that I loved you this much, it's really not easy. I'm so sorry for all the things I've said and how I've reacted, will you please forgive your beloved? I promise I'm not doing it again, I'll treat you the way you deserve. And also, we should get married when your father finally accepts me. Will you please marry me, Fareeda?" This thing called a heart, which was the beholder of feelings and emotions, it can be beguiling at times. She thought she had promised herself not to ever cry because of Adam? Then why was she crying now? Her chest squeezed painfully as she cried and felt as if this was a dream come true for her.

"I can't believe this is happening, Adam. You've finally come back to me and..." She let her words trailed off as she cleared her tears, "As a changed person? Can it get any better?"

She could hear his smile from the phone and right now she wished she be nowhere but in is arms, "I'm sorry it took long for me to make you feel the love you deserve, but I promise to be the best man you can ever have."

She cleared her tears and a wide grin painted itself on her cheeks, she loved this man. No matter how Adam was going to treat her or what he was going to say to her, she would always love him nevertheless. "I love you, Adam, please don't hurt me as you did before. It's really not easy on me, I'm finding it so hard to cope these days." She felt like running to the clouds to dance just so she could show the whole world that she was happy and in love with the best of men. And she was thankful, for the first time that she had finally apologized to Alhaji, which had hopefully revoked the alliance he was trying to make with Mujaheed.