The Author Website

Did you hear the one about the man who was arrested for downloading the entire Wikipedia website? He kept shouting at the officers, "I can explain everything!"

What is an Author Website?

Your author website is where you introduce yourself to the world. Think of it as a stage where you showcase your author brand, serve up a taste of your personality, highlight your professional works, and sell related merchandise. If you provide a service, such as editing, ghostwriting or mentoring, you can market that here as well. Your professional website is the first place a publisher or agent will look if they are interested in your work. 

How Do I Create a Website?

There are a number of ways to go about building a website, and decisions are usually based on expertise and cost. Some people don't have the know-how or the time to build their own website, but there are plenty of folks who make their living designing websites for businesses and individuals. Of course, this service costs money.

Fortunately, a bunch of do-it-yourself website building platforms have come on the scene to fill the demand for free (or reasonably priced), easy to use web design. The internet is full of information on this topic. Try searching Website Builders and be amazed. Just be sure you're looking for website builders not web hosting, although most website builders also offer web hosting.

Based on popularity, we have shared the top three website builders for 2021, noted for their ease of use and wide selection of design tools: Wix, Squarespace and WordPress. Only Wix and WordPress have free options, with the caveat that your readers will see ads and your web address will include the website builder's name. In the end, only you can decide how you want to portray yourself and your brand to your audience and how much cash you're willing to spend on it.

📌REMINDER: You can always start small and grow as your audience grows.

What Do I Share on My Website?

The About page is where you connect with your readers, and your face is one of the most important things on this page

The About page is where you connect with your readers, and your face is one of the most important things on this page. Ideally, your author photo should reflect your brand. For instance, you might use a smiley pose if you write chicklit, perhaps with a bright background and fun props. Or, if you're a thriller author, a dramatic black and white image could provoke feelings of suspense.