The Call

Boy! You're the one! I want you to want me! And if you want, then boy you got me! There's nothing I, no, I wouldn't do! I wouldn't do! Just to get up next to you!

"Oh, I just love this song!" Amy squealed as she danced to the lyrics with Cream and Cheese next to her. "It reminds me so much of my love for Sonic."

"It certainly has a nice, danceable beat to it." Cream smiled.

"Chao, chao!" Cheese agreed.

"Amy, do you think you can turn that down? I can hear it all the way up on the roof." Sonic groaned as he walked into the Thorndyke living room, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Oh, Sonic!" Amy cried out excitedly, running up to her self-proclaimed boyfriend. Said hedgehog didn't have a chance to escape before she wrapped her hands around his wrists and pulled him to her. "Come dance with me. I claim this song from me to you."

Sonic groaned but went with her anyway, dancing around the living room with her and Cream and Cheese. He had to admit, as the song continued, it was very catchy, and he couldn't place it, but the singer almost sounded familiar too.

"Hey, Amy," He started. "By chance do you know who sings this song?"

"I don't know the artist by name," Amy shrugged. "But she has a lot of songs like these. Why?"

"I don't know," Sonic frowned as he twirled the pink hedgehog. "She just sounds... familiar."

At that moment, the telephone in the kitchen started ringing. Mrs. Thorndyke and her husband were home on break for a few days. She was in the kitchen, helping Ella with supper when the phone started to ring so she decided to take it upon herself to answer it.

"Hello?" She said into the receiver. A pause. "Yes, this is the Thorndyke residence." Another pause, then a smile. "Oh is that so?" Another pause. "Well, he's right in the living room. I can go fetch him real quick. I'm sure he'll be ecstatic to hear your voice. One moment."

With that, Mrs. Thorndyke laid a hand over the receiver and leaned into the living room, where Sonic, Amy, Cream and Cheese were still dancing, but to a new song this time.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Stand a little taller! Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone! What doesn't kill you makes a fighter! Footsteps even lighter! Doesn't mean I'm over 'cause you're gone! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stronger! Just me, myself and I! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Stand a little taller! Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone!

"Sonic," Mrs. Thorndyke called to the blue hedgehog, who immediately stopped dancing to give her his full attention. "You have a phone call, sweetie."

"From who?" Sonic frowned as he walked up to her, Amy turning the music down so it wasn't disturbing the phone call.

"I'll leave that as a surprise." Mrs. Thorndyke giggled, handing him the receiver. "But I'm sure you'll be delighted, if not excited."

With that, Mrs. Thorndyke walked away to give him some privacy, still smiling. Sonic shook his head and brought the phone up to his ear.

"Hello, Sonic the Hedgehog speaking."

"Sonic!" An excited female voice cried on the other end. "Oh, it's been so long. You have no idea how good it is to hear your voice."

Sonic was confused. Who was this person? And why did she sound so familiar?

"I'm sorry but, who is this?" He asked. His response was a sharp gasp.

"Why Sonic! I get that it's been almost 4 years, but surely you would recognize the voice of family."

And then suddenly, Sonic's mind clicked, and he knew exactly who was talking to him, and why her voice sounded so familiar. His eyes became watery with tears of joy as he smiled into the phone.